Books Page 2

Quote: Marc P @ July 4 2013, 1:18 PM BST

I have flunkeys for typos Teddy.

Does your editor know you call him that?

Oops. Good point. And she is a she and brilliant!! ;)

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ July 4 2013, 1:27 PM BST

I have to do everything myself I'm afraid, but it must be nice to be able to shirk the blame.

'Shirk the blame' is such a..stark..term Teddy. I prefer 'massage the liability'. It's less accusatory and ever so slightly sexual.

With my back being the way it is I keep well clear of sexual innuendos and prefer to be blunt.

Good point! I have read so many how to books, and you can always get a little, but what makes you a God writer is writing, and a God scriptwriter also need to see his / hers script as finished films.

I don't like Syd Field to be honest; it is like his thinks he can offer you a perfect formula for a success film. First you get impressed, and then after a couple of his books, you stop believing in the project.
Robert McKey has one God point, and that is the negation of the negation. That is the essence of what you can get out of him.
But I have 3 books I would recommend, and those are: Aristotle, Lajos Egri, and Joseph Campbell if you like non-realistic stories. Tolkien and Lord of the Rings are like taken out of Campbell.
And then it is much better to read God film scripts, God books, radio plays or whatever you want to learn.

I is the website that made good into God, not me...

Quote: evaBS @ July 4 2013, 1:57 PM BST

I is the website that made good into God, not me...

:D

I have just bought some from various places. They are:

Reading Screenplays, Considering Drama, How Plays Work, The Insiders Guide To Writing For Television, Thirteen Types Of Narrative, Radio Acting, and Thats Not What I Meant.

Thank the lord for tax rebates!

Its a strange bunch, but I enjoy all types of stories, and writing formats/genres etc. I'm also interested in how other people view scripts, such as script readers, directors, producers, actors, agents, and especially commissioners!

Has anyone read any of these?

I have only read Insiders Guide to Television, which I didn't find that helpful (knowing how to renegotiate on the second series isn't one of my current big concerns, thanks all the same).

Will check out the others. I read everything. I'm a geek.

Read THE COMIC TOOLBOX Jennie.

'The Comic Toolbox - how to be funny even if you're not'.

What are you trying to say? Angry :D

But thanks, will check it out.

LOL

I've just been reading some Dorothy Parker and encountered this bit of advice regarding aspiring writers:

"If you have any young friends who aspire to become writers, the second greatest favor you can do them is to present them with copies of The Elements of Style. The first greatest, of course, is to shoot them now, while they're happy."

Which reminded me of something I read many years ago by Australian writer Henry Lawson (from something he wrote in 1902):

"My advice to any young Australian writer whose talents have been recognised, would be to go steerage, stow away, swim, and seek London. Yankeeland, or Timbuctoo - rather than stay in Australia till his genius turned to gall, or beer. Or failing this - and still in the interests of human nature and literature - to study elementary anatomy, especially as applies to the cranium, and then shoot himself carefully with the aid of a looking-glass."

Quote: Marc P @ July 5 2013, 12:19 AM BST

Read THE COMIC TOOLBOX Jennie.

this is the best book I've read on the subject. I found it especially useful for character development, inner and outer needs etc. Other book I keep going back to is the serious guide to joke writing, but, as you may have guessed from the title it's less about narrative and more about joke writing

Well, I've got 'The Comic Toolbox' on order.

I'm expecting great things.

If my sitcom isn't commissioned within the next six months, I shall expect you both to refund me my £10.97.

Quote: Jennie @ July 7 2013, 8:59 PM BST

Well, I've got 'The Comic Toolbox' on order.

I'm expecting great things.

If my sitcom isn't commissioned within the next six months, I shall expect you both to refund me my £10.97.

:D