Keeping Up Appearances Page 6

Quote: David Smith @ June 15 2013, 8:25 PM BST

:| I don't like Miranda

:O

I think I've not mentioned this on this thread yet.
Keeping Up Appearances is enormously popular in Latvia - probably the most popular sitcom ever (and the first sitcoms were aired here in 1991 or so). So many people know who Hyacinth is and cherish the jokes about the candlelight dinners.
It used to run on the privately owned television ("local ITV") for months and months, on repeats - a feat unsurpassed by ANY sitcom, American or British. This is the genre generally not popular around here.
And recently it got picked up by the national TV, overdubbed again, and it is still running in the prime time (around 19:00 or 19:30, I think).

I personally believe this is because Latvians in general have a senile taste of humour. People still remember In Loving Memory, which was aired here some time in mid-1990s.

Quote: David Smith @ June 15 2013, 8:25 PM BST

:| I don't like Miranda

Curiously, I'm watching the first episode of Miranda right now. Quite nice, I'd say.

I am planning to re-rent series one to five. There, I've just said it.

However, when I placed the phrase into Amazon's search box it suggested 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians'. Now, call me silly, but I'd really appreciate a KUA/KUWTK mash up. Can you imagine Kim and Kanye visiting Onslow, Daisy and Rose? It'd be mega.

I'd appreciate Geoffrey Hughes in anything, TBN, because he died in 2012, sad to say.

Is it ever explained why Richard married Hyacinth? A similar question was asked of Margaret in OFITG, but Victor's certainly a more likeable character than Mrs Bucket?

I think it is mentioned at some point, but I don't recall the reason. Probably that she wasn't as bad back then.

Quote: Aaron @ 30th May 2015, 11:27 PM BST

I think it is mentioned at some point, but I don't recall the reason. Probably that she wasn't as bad back then.

I guess so. If we were to psychoanalyse Mrs B, it's clear that her snobbish nature is a defence mechanism against her background.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 30th May 2015, 12:50 PM BST

Is it ever explained why Richard married Hyacinth? A similar question was asked of Margaret in OFITG, but Victor's certainly a more likeable character than Mrs Bucket?

Hyacinth can be awfully nice to whom she wants to impress - which is probably how she entrapped her hubby. I imagine that changes the day after the wedding. Kim Kardishian strikes me as similar, so your idea of a mash up sounds good. Only Kim is for real, more subtle and more evil - so maybe not so funny. They should do pantomine, Hyacinth would be the front end of the horse and Kim the backside (it's best when she doesn't talk). :)

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 31st May 2015, 3:22 PM BST

Hyacinth can be awfully nice to whom she wants to impress - which is probably how she entrapped her hubby.

That's women for you!

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 31st May 2015, 3:22 PM BST

Hyacinth can be awfully nice to whom she wants to impress - which is probably how she entrapped her hubby. I imagine that changes the day after the wedding. Kim Kardishian strikes me as similar, so your idea of a mash up sounds good. Only Kim is for real, more subtle and more evil - so maybe not so funny. They should do pantomine, Hyacinth would be the front end of the horse and Kim the backside (it's best when she doesn't talk). :)

I think you're right. Can you imagine K&K attending one of Hyacinth's candlelight suppers and handling the 'Royal Doulton with the hand painted periwinkles'?

Quote: Chappers @ 31st May 2015, 8:21 PM BST

That's women for you!

:P

So many of the cast of these classic series are either dead or old and frail. I don't want to see Hy and Richard's adventures living in either a nursing home or living under the care of Sheridan.

Quote: Natalie Salat @ 17th November 2015, 9:18 AM GMT

So many of the cast of these classic series are either dead or old and frail.

It was surprising that Patricia Routledge did as many stunts as she did on the show as it was.

I appreciate Roy Clarke n all, but why doesn't he take this opportunity to work with some new writers and act only as a script supervisor or something? Let some of his sitcom experience rub off on a new generation?

Especially as this is said to be a prequel, will Roy be able to capture that young voice or will it be an old man's idea of what young is supposed to be?

But anyway, I grew up with K.U.A. and thoroughly enjoyed it. So I will tune in regardless.

Quote: Lee @ 17th November 2015, 11:11 AM GMT

Especially as this is said to be a prequel, will Roy be able to capture that young voice or will it be an old man's idea of what young is supposed to be?

Gosh, where did you hear that?

Hmmm, good question! I saw it on the news column on Facebook, can't remember who it was from though.