As Time Goes By Page 4

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 3 2013, 1:48 PM BST

Wow, this went on for ten series? I didn't realise it lasted quite so long.

It is televisual mogadon, after a while people watching it don't know what day it is, what their name is, they are stuck in a middle class stasis, it may be part of a Government plot to put the whole country to sleep.

Quote: Pingl @ June 3 2013, 1:50 PM BST

It is televisual mogadon, after a while people watching it don't know what day it is, what their name is, they are stuck in a middle class stasis, it may be part of a Government plot to put the whole country to sleep.

LOL!!! Possibly! It is mesmerising!

My local PBS station started running ATGB again with S1E1 and S1E2 last night. It has run two episodes a week since AT LEAST (that I know of) as far back as 2005. Allowing breaks for fund drives, that's 90 episodes per year.

But every time I see S1E1 I can't help but marveling that this is the beginning of a show that lasted nine series and two specials! And after 21 years is probably more watched now than ever!

LOTSW and ATGB are probably the most watched Britcoms (world wide) ever, at this point in time.

I've always owned up to this being my favourite of all Britcom though I don't watch it endlessly. (Just all the way through once a year.)

What I have found over the many years I've been a fan is that, sooner or later, everyone who sees it loves it. Several friends who caught the odd episode on PBS often didn't particularly care for it until one day, they completely fall in love. In all cases, they rush out and buy the whole series on DVD and watch it through again and again. Is it exposure? Age? Who knows?

It's a series that plays not just on its innate cosines but relies, I think, on a particular familiarity with the characters and the longer story arcs to derive much of the charm and humour. There are outright funny jokes and dialogue, but fewer than in most series, I think.

I think you've got it right ... anticipating watching an episode is almost like a low-fat version of the kind of anticipation you feel before visiting a familiar old friend. It really isn't about the laughs.

I'm trying to think of other shows about which I feel the same way. The only one that instantly springs to mind is On the Up, another Bob Larbey show.

Agreed. I think it is the way with Bob Larbey as I also feel similarly with A Fine Romance. I was trying to explain to someone why they should watch it. It certainly isn't for belly laughs but they do give you some light chuckles and leave you with a lovely warm glow inside to boot.

I keep hoping that some of the Bob Larbey shows (or Bob Larbey/John Esmonde shows) that aren't currently on DVD will be published. Or that he'll write another....

Quote: Rose2010 @ June 29 2013, 12:57 PM BST

I keep hoping that some of the Bob Larbey shows (or Bob Larbey/John Esmonde shows) that aren't currently on DVD will be published. Or that he'll write another....

He'd have no chance of getting anything commissioned even if he did, sadly. I gather he's just enjoying retirement these days.

All I know about British broadcasting is what I see on the small screen. Given the dedicated fans of ATGB all over the world, I'd love to know why a show wouldn't be commissioned. Have you seen the As Time Goes By tribute site? The current discussion includes people discussing various sequal scenarios that would bring the show back. atgbcentral.com

Surely those who commission television shows recognize a potential goldmine!

They don't, sadly. I happen to know far more successful and esteemed writers than Bob Larbey have had series turned down for the most spurious and insulting of reasons. And what audiences want in the UK, much less around the world, seems to be the last thing on the mind of commissioners these days.

It's possible he could get a single episode special of As Time Goes By going, if he so wished, but a whole new series, or a new show altogether - not a hope.

I'm sorry to hear that.

You probably know what does drive commissioning. Nepotism? Bribery? Personal agendas? (Am I too cynical?)

Focus groups, demographics that don't really equate to how people watch television, financial constraints, luck, and often highly questionable personal taste. And sheer, awful coincidence.

Yikes.

There used to be a saying that everyone lies about two things: money and sex. I think we can add a third: what they watch on television and how much television they watch. Focus groups and surveys might have very limited value!

Quote: Aaron @ June 29 2013, 4:36 PM BST

Focus groups, demographics that don't really equate to how people watch television, financial constraints, luck, and often highly questionable personal taste. And sheer, awful coincidence.

Aaron,

I have no reason to doubt your knowledge of the topic but, if your last few posts are accurate, it is truly a sad thing. Anything related to ATGB written by Larbey, would be hugely popular in the US. The show has been running continuously on PBS for decades and stays in demand.

Personally, I've gone a couple of months without watching it. Happened to catch the two episodes last night and fell right back in the comfort zone. It's just a very well done show. Hate to think it's all over!

I'll keep my hopes up anyway. Thanks to all for the conversation.