Right cast, right writer, just plain wrong! Page 2

Quote: Ian Wolf @ May 26 2013, 9:09 AM BST

I would argue that And Now For Something Completely Different would be the worst Python film because that just consisted of sketches from the TV series.

Do people really count it as one of the films? I mean, I guess technically it was...

Quote: DougWonnacott @ May 27 2013, 1:36 PM BST

Life's Too Short. Divides opinion. I haven't liked many of Gervais's solo projects, but I have liked all his joint efforts with Merchant to one degree or another, except for this one.

Really enjoyed the special, when they made the character more sympathetic. unfortunately it was too late by then.

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 1 2013, 10:26 AM BST

Apart from Cook and Moore it seems to be written by Paul Morrissey, who doesn't seem to have written anything of much cop. It did have some good lines.

"I've lost a medium rare in a world where the steaks are high"

"I told you not to mention death in front of Iris!"

It had some great lines, but they were all recycled from old material. Morrissey's direction was a mess, but as a curio I like it. And it was, I think, both Terry-Thomas's and Kenneth Williams's last film appearances.

The most recent ones which come to mind are The Royal Bodyguard, The Wright Way and Up The Women.

Quote: David Smith @ May 16 2013, 9:59 PM BST

Carry On Emmannuelle.

:D

Keith Lemon - The Film...actually that was always going to be shite.

Sorry, I thought I was on the sarcasm thread ;)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 17 2013, 12:06 PM BST

Yup, just take a look here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/scott_pilgrims_vs_the_world/

High with both critics and audience reviews.

Loved it, personally. The mistake was spending sixty million on what seems an unlikely, niche film, with an unlikely, niche star at the centre.

+1. Loved it. And I don't like Cera, so I wouldn't say right cast, but he was good in this. Probably coz I like the comic too - and I don't think anyone could've been anymore faithful to it either.

I'm not sure.
I need to listen to The Spicer Life again.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 27 2013, 1:49 PM BST

I'm not sure.
I need to listen to The Spicer Life again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRwnU4TLQGQ

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 27 2013, 1:47 PM BST

I think Clockwise, written by Michael Frayn of Noises Off fame and starring John Cleese could have been so much better. Do writers get the star name and relax?

I found "Clockwise" disappointing too - average rather than terrible.

On the script side of thing, Frayn is a successful playwright, rather than screenwriter, and farce usually works better in a theatre than on the big screen.

:D

Quote: George Kaplan @ June 27 2013, 2:49 PM BST

I found "Clockwise" disappointing too - average rather than terrible.

On the script side of thing, Frayn is a successful playwright, rather than screenwriter, and farce usually works better in a theatre than on the big screen.

True, but to be fair to Frayn he's just an over rated highly commercial formula writer, so was it wise to expect something really good?

I'd say by the main awards givers, that crowd who until recently, say the last 10/15 years or so gave exclusively to latter day Ayckbourns, Stoppards and that whole Hamsptead set of award hawking shitehawks. The chap Harry Enfield played lusting after a younger woman but rightly laughed at in his local overpriced coffee shop.