Comedy Poetry Books

I discovered that Bernard Bresslaw had a book of poetry called Ode to the Dead Sea Scrolls, which seems to retail on antiqbook for a massive £180.

There's plenty of comedy poets-Roger McGough, Spike Milligan, but anyone less well known?

Pam Ayres' output of the late 70s and early 80s still tops the "always on the shelf" lists at charity shops in Australia. Or did last time I was there.

The reason Bernard Bresslaw's poetry book is so expensive is because he had it privately published - limited to 60 copies for family and friends.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 12 2013, 2:12 PM BST

- limited to 60 copies for family and friends.

Would that I was so popular.

Spike Milligan's books include Open Heart University and Small Dreams of a Scorpion. All poetry books sound like obscure thrillers...

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 12 2013, 5:27 PM BST

Spike Milligan's books include Open Heart University and Small Dreams of a Scorpion. All poetry books sound like obscure thrillers...

The exception being The 101 Best And Only Limericks Of Spike Milligan. And his Silly Verse for Kids[i]. And [i]Unspun Socks from a Chicken's Laundry.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 13 2013, 3:47 AM BST

Unspun Socks from a Chicken's Laundry.

John Le Carre's masterpiece?

Proper Poem

The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees
Is my destroyer.
And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.
The force that drives the water through the rocks
Drives my red blood; that dries the mouthing streams
Turns mine to wax.
And I am dumb to mouth unto my veins
How at the mountain spring the same mouth sucks.

The hand that whirls the water in the pool
Stirs the quicksand; that ropes the blowing wind
Hauls my shroud sail.
And I am dumb to tell the hanging man
How of my clay is made the hangman's lime.

The lips of time leech to the fountain head;
Love drips and gathers, but the fallen blood
Shall calm her sores.
And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind
How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.

And I am dumb to tell the lover's tomb
How at my sheet goes the same crooked worm.

Padduluck has had a fair share of rejection,
Last place, runner up and dejection,
But to post poems on any forum,
Shows a lack of decorum.
He should try instead the critique section.

Hi,

I am a comedy poet who had a self-published book of comedy poetry out last year called 'Your Sax Is On Fire.

http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=1594

I also have a website with some samples of more recent works at

www.georgestanworth

Some of my favourite comedy poets include Hovis Presley (sadly no longer with us), John Hegley, Tony Walsh, Tim Key, and Paul Eccentric (aka The Anti-Poet).

Cheers,
George

Quote: George Stanworth @ June 16 2013, 5:02 PM BST

Some of my favourite comedy poets include Hovis Presley (sadly no longer with us), John Hegley, Tony Walsh, Tim Key, and Paul Eccentric (aka The Anti-Poet).

Any chance of just sticking with just talking about these? Stick the advert or the material on the showcase or critique, rather than here...

Well of course there is Pam Ayres who really is very funny and john Hegley who signed several of his books for me including "Glad to wear glasses" when he did a performance at Sutton Library a few years ago.

he had a band called the Popticians and wrote several odes to his spectacles.