Arrested Development Page 20

Trying to hold back but I've got two left which I'm going to watch tonight.

They'll be good for a rewatch because I'm sure I would have missed a few of the subtle or background jokes

They better be good for a rewatch Angry Angry

Will Arnett is looking pretty tasty these days, so I'm happy to watch them over & over again.

I can honestly say this is so much better on second viewing.

If it gets even better on second watch, I may pass out. This season was built for the internet, to being thrown out there as a full season all at once; and to reward more than a single viewing.

I'm 2 off the end, it's perfectly serviceable. I laugh 2-3 times per episode which isn't bad. Doesn't feel like Arrested Development though, it's definitely a different animal now. The Lucelle and George Episodes are really weak in comparison to the others, But hey it's fine it's not horrible just OK.

Why was it they went with the different setup for this series? Just trying something new?

Quote: Ben @ May 31 2013, 8:52 AM BST

Why was it they went with the different setup for this series? Just trying something new?

It's been such a long time the last series was on, tehy don't know if getting another so can't setup massive house of cards, and it pretty much is all setup up again. Also couldn't get all the cast there at all the time so it's more single character pieces every ep than a big ensemble piece.

Quote: Ben @ May 31 2013, 8:52 AM BST

Firstly because they couldn't get everyone together for an extended period anymore, and secondly, to try something new and take advantage of it being put out all in one go on the internet. For me, it's worked brilliantly so far.

I watched seasons 1-3 again on Netflix to lead into season 4. After ten minutes of the new season I knew the old magic was gone. The set up, music and feel just isn't right. I'll watch on in hope of some redemption.

I've finished the whole season now. While I still found it funny and had plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, I can't help but wish they'd stuck to the old format. As previous commmenters have noted, there's far too much narrator in this season, even more than is required by the overly complicated way in which the story is told. It's distracting.

Yep. I wish they'd stuck the old format, though it's still hands down better than any sitcom on US TV ATM IMO. I feel it could've been a lot better if they'd stuck to the old format. But still, credit where it's due - they tried something different and went ahead with it while the whole thing could've turned out to be a disaster milking the success of AD 1-3 Seasons.

Am I the one who finds the narration a bit annoying with this one? I feel it's a little more in-your-face than previous ADs.

One reason they couldn't stick to the old format was schedule of all the actors, so they went a different way. Even a lot of the scenes that seem to have characters interacting are actually green screened, or have stand ins so you only see the back of them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1gj9mt/i_am_mitch_hurwitz_creator_of_arrested/

It's just hit me that all 3 brothers fall in love with a woman called Marta! (Mother).

How slow am I?

Bump. :)

Ahead of Series 5 hitting the Netflix at the end of the month, they've just released a completely re-cut version of Series 4, which attempts to correct some of the criticisms of the original cut (confusing timeline, long episodes, poor editing).

I didn't hate the original S4 as some people did (once everything they painstakingly set up in the first half of the season started to pay off and the timelines started to come together, it was great, it was just such a slog to get through that first half), but I'm halfway through the re-cut and it does seem to work better. Still some glaring issues, mainly around the fact that they couldn't get the cast all together outside of a couple of big scenes, and it probably still leans too hard on the narration (which has all been re-recorded by Ron Howard), but it's definitely an easier watch.

High hopes for S5. :)