How to name a sitcom? Page 2

Match.con (though you might get sued)
Cupid's Marrow
Imperfect Partners
Tall, Dark, Strange
Slipp and Tackle (if you change the main characters names maybe?)
Hardon & Bangs (one for Charley)

I liked Dave B's 'GSOH' or some such idea. 'GSOH, 30' or 'WLTM' (or is some programme called that already???)

Dan

Well, it's similar to Spaced, but it differs because it has a lot more going on in it, e.g. it's about the residents of three houses, rather than just the one. I've spent a LONG time writing it, and I had at least 35 characters in it, last time I counted.

Quote: swerytd @ February 11, 2008, 3:00 PM

Tall, Dark, Strange

I used that once as a kind of chat up line at school once. Schoolgirls didn't really appreciate the "strange" thing, oh well... stupid girls!

Quote: Mana @ February 10, 2008, 3:32 PM

Happy Hearts...

we thought of naming it that, but it sounded to... squishy...

EDIT: We can't call it 'Me and Dom' because we don't really feature in it at all...

Thats the fun, Me and Dom sounds cool man :P

Dom could be one of those characters all character know but the viewers never see. lol. Has the street got a cool name? whats the house name?

Quote: catskillz @ February 11, 2008, 3:07 PM

Well, it's similar to Spaced, but it differs because it has a lot more going on in it, e.g. it's about the residents of three houses, rather than just the one. I've spent a LONG time writing it, and I had at least 35 characters in it, last time I counted.

Similar to Spaced in what way? What do you mean more going on? Spaced had plenty going on. 35 characters is plain crazy talk. How is any reader meant to keep up with that?

Like a soap really. I assume there will be a central set of characters.

A soap rotates it's characters, I can't see how a sitcom could, sounds more like a sketch show, like League of Gentleman.

It sounds crazy, I know. The 35 characters don't all live in the 3 houses! There's 6 charactrers in the middle house, 4 in another, and 1 in the the other. Then, on top of these, there's the friends, relatives and workmates of all of these characters.

Quote: chipolata @ February 11, 2008, 1:37 PM

I tend to go through my record collection and look for quirky song titles I can steal. It's important to remember the title need not neccessarily have any bearing on the project. For example, Reservoir Dogs is a fantastic title but as far as I'm aware there are no reservoirs or dogs in the actual film. It just feels right.

Snap.

Quote: catskillz @ February 11, 2008, 3:41 PM

It sounds crazy, I know. The 35 characters don't all live in the 3 houses! There's 6 charactrers in the middle house, 4 in another, and 1 in the the other. Then, on top of these, there's the friends, relatives and workmates of all of these characters.

Call it Camberwick Green

Dan

Quote: David Bussell @ February 11, 2008, 3:19 PM

Similar to Spaced in what way? What do you mean more going on? Spaced had plenty going on. 35 characters is plain crazy talk. How is any reader meant to keep up with that?

I agree, my last rejection was a sitcom parody of a Soap. I called it "Depression street". Needless to say, they didn't even mention the awful name, they said it was because of too many characters.

Production companies have to pay each of the actors, and the crew, and themselves, as well as make the show. So the less expenses, the more feasible it will be to make/cash to go round/likely it will be picked up.

They told me it had good gags and a good pace but I was gutted as I'd been working on it for ages. So I learned for the next time. The next time being this time. Fingers crossed!

DAVID BUSSEL YOUR SITE IS AWESOME. I RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE!!!

Quote: Hardcorr @ February 12, 2008, 6:57 AM

DAVID BUSSELL YOUR SITE IS AWESOME. I RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE!!!

Thank you very much, alter-ego.

Top Tip for sitcom name ideas - The Penguin Dictionary Of English Idioms. Stacked full of phrases like "Grace and Favour", It Crowd", Thin Ice, Press Gang, etc etc. Sure to give you some ideas. It's on Amazon for a few quid here: See Amazon product listing

Tell you what I hate though - punny sitcom names. I always get the feeling that a sitcom with a really punny name has been created BECAUSE of the name. Good example - in the BBC Last Laugh comp, one of the sitcoms was called Last Quango In Harris. Please. Don't shoehorn an entire sitcom into a snappy title, it won't work.

For example:

"All Hands On Dec!" Saucy sitcom starring Declan Donnelly, who's just so cute the girls can't keep their HANDS off him!

OR

"P's & Q's". Sitcom set in and around a very busy public lavatory.

Sigh.

GSOH is the best suggestion so far, imo.

Quote: Charisma @ February 12, 2008, 11:20 AM

GSOH is the best suggestion so far, imo.

Thank you, I was waiting to get some love on that.