Only Fools were overrated a bit.

Careful , Dave.
Don't blow it....

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 22 2013, 1:52 PM BST

Big Bang Theory

I like it but it's overrated IMO

Agree except I don't even like it a bit

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2013, 3:37 PM BST

I think hardly any sitcoms are rated at all by normal people, in order to be overrated. Unless you mean overrated by comedy fans, which might be a different issue.

I actually love The Office, I think it's brilliant, but I still think it's overrated. It seems like every house in the country has a copy of the DVD, but I bet most of them don't rewatch it. It feels like something that should have been a cult hit rather than such a mainstream one.

If that makes any sense at all.

I have only ever seen one episode of The Office, I didn't like it, so I never bothered again.

Peep Show is pretty awful.

I still enjoy both Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones, though I can probably recite every moment (but I won't).

Personally I never got into Only Fools and Horses - hugely popular but just doesn't tickle me. Individual taste and all that. I also used to get pissed off with people quoting Blackadder but you can't blame the show for that! Had it been an unknown I'd stumbled across at 3 a.m. Thursday I'd be in love with it.

I actually love The Office, I think it's brilliant, but I still think it's overrated. It seems like every house in the country has a copy of the DVD, but I bet most of them don't rewatch it. It feels like something that should have been a cult hit rather than such a mainstream one.

If that makes any sense at all.

It sort of is in Australia- or at least the original version. A lot of people don't realise the US version is a remake.

Quote: reds @ May 23 2013, 1:16 PM BST

It sort of is in Australia- or at least the original version. A lot of people don't realise the US version is a remake.

The same goes for Germany. Stromberg, the German version of the show (although it's not really an official franchise as it wasn't licensed) is very popular, but rather few people know the British version - although hte British version is much better imho. I used to love Stromberg before I knew the British version, but now I preefer both the British version als well as the American version over Stromberg.

It seems like every house in the country has a copy of the DVD, but I bet most of them don't rewatch it.

I don't really rewatch many sitcoms at all nowadays. Only Partridge gets dusted off with any regularity (once every two years I'll rewatch the lot). I'm more likely to rewatch films, probably because they take up less time.

I disagree about The Office rewatch though.
I find Ricky Gervais stuff generally better the second time you see it.
I'd still watch one again, as I would with Partridge.
Some bits are so good they deserve a few views.

I've been watching Extras again recently. It's still brilliant.

I was watching the Ross Kemp one yesterday.
It was a boring thing at work so I was playing Netflix on my phone.

Getting paid to watch telly!

If we're talking in terms of critical reception, I feel Nighty Night was somewhat overrated. I love Julia Davis to bits, but her character was too overbearing and the writing seemed just a tad too self-absorbed. She got it perfectly right with Hunderby though, stepped aside a little and let other actors take the spotlight.

Now if only Ricky Gervais also learned not to stick his mug into every show he writes...

;) Think I'm too old to appreciate 'young' comedy?... The Inbetweeners et al??

Boring fart?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 23 2013, 11:12 PM BST

I disagree about The Office rewatch though.
I find Ricky Gervais stuff generally better the second time you see it.
I'd still watch one again, as I would with Partridge.
Some bits are so good they deserve a few views.

Totally agree. I think many people are a bit fed up with Gervais because his image generally suffered during the past years, and the reason that so many people don't like The Office anymore is propably that there were so damn many mockumentary comedies afterwards, but that still doesn't change the fact that The Office as well as Extras were absolutely brilliant shows that deserve to be watched again. Because if you watch them again you will indeed notice many new details and see how deep and brilliant the scripts actually are.

The relationship between Andy Millman and Maggie in Extras is so excellently written. I don't think most people generally remember that about Extras. They just remember all the celebrity cameos, etc.