Fawlty Towers 'Remastered' Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ May 2 2011, 12:01 PM BST

Does anyone have the 2009 'Remastered' box set?

I've been toying with the idea of getting it, and although I know there are a bunch of new extra features, was particularly drawn to its apparent having been "remastered" - but I've just looked on my 2001 box set, and that also claims a special feature as the series having been "digitally re-mastered". So is there any difference?

Not sure whether the repeated "re-mastering" claim means the audio/video has been re-enhanced for the latest version. I've got three DVD versions (Dutch release, 2001 'Complete' release and the latest) so could have a look (but most of my DVDs are now in storage). All I know for certain the "is it your legs" line, stupidly cut from the earlier DVD releases of 'Kipper & Corpse' has finally been restored.

I watched a remastered episode on telly last night and to someone who has seen the originals maybe a thousand times (OK, an exaggeration, but loads of times) the remastered version felt slightly weird to me in the visual texture if you know what I mean. Difficult to explain really, but it just looked very different, as if I was watching a remake done exactly the same but filmed on movie quality film instead of old sitcom tape. It's almost akin to when they coloured up the Laurel & Hardy movies.

I can't tell the difference in these remastered versions, maybe slightly less grainy?

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 8 2011, 11:04 AM BST

If PC revisionalism BBC/2entertain cuts do not piss you off it's good, but they have bleeped the word 'nigger'!

I've got this, and it's not bleeped.

Quality show

I have bought the Fawlty Towers Remastered Boxset. It's good because it includes Commetary by John Cleese, Interviews, booklet, profiles, out takes and reviews. The epsiodes are also better condition.

Quote: Aaron @ May 2 2011, 5:00 PM BST

Thanks John, as I was suspecting. How disappointing.

What did you expect: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon?

They did a marvellous job on the remastering of 'Fawlty Towers'. There's an article about it here: http://www.bbcstudiosandpostproduction.com/news/090813_fawlty_towers.html

The only thing I would say is, there's probably a limit to how much difference most people would notice - but I think it's a terrific job and can be noticed particularly in the film sequences.

I reckon it's as good as the series could possible look, given the source material.

Fascinating read, and answers my questions - thanks Dene!

No probs Aaron :). It's a brilliant set imo!

The commentaries from Cleese are great and very insightful, even if he does rhapsodise about every guest actor!

I bought the remastered box set about a year ago. What I found to be the highlight from this particular box set was Cleese's commentary. Throughout, Cleese gives a full insight to the cast, crew, fau paxs made on set, etc. Some of the most interesting and revealing commentaries I have heard from an actor/writer of any sitcom.

For the last two days I have been watching Fawlty Towers solid. Commentary from John Cleese is excellent throughout, whist very critical and extremely informative at the same time.

My favourite episode is still 'The Hotel Inspectors', but 'Basil The Rat' comes a close second.

I have the remastered version I was waiting for that version to come out.

Fawlty Towers never gets old - but can you really tell a massive difference between the old DVD releases and the remastered ones?