Overrated sitcoms?

Can you think of any overrated sitcoms? I think The Office and Fawlty Towers were.

Are you f***ing serious? The Office and Fawlty Towers are among the best shows in TV history.

This may also spark controversy, but I never found Father Ted funny, the same goes for Black Books, although I find The IT Crowd OK to good. Graham Linehan's style of writing remains a matter of taste.

Quote: Unfunny German @ May 22 2013, 10:04 AM BST

Graham Linehan's style of writing remains a matter of taste.

I think that goes for most writers work, doesn't it?

I never found Father Ted funny, the same goes for Black Books,

Are you f***ing serious?

Whistling nnocently

I found Gavin and Stacey pretty dull, mainly because the supposed lead characters were so insipid. Rob Brydon was good in it, but underused.

The Wright Way

I honestly don't find the appeal of The IT Crowd, the jokes are so predictable and/or dull.

Oh so very many. The Office and Father Ted, as have already been mentioned.

I do worry that some posters deliberately put up wacky and irrational posts so when they get done for murder, they've got a ready made insanity plea.

Quote: Aaron @ May 22 2013, 12:22 PM BST

Oh so very many. The Office and Father Ted, as have already been mentioned.

Agree with The Office, but I loved Father Ted, suppose it was a bit over-hyped at the time though.

Re-watching Father Ted I was struck by how well it has aged, compared to say, Extras, which although much newer, feels a bit old-hat.

Big Bang Theory

I like it but it's overrated IMO

Quote: Nogget @ May 22 2013, 1:45 PM BST

Re-watching Father Ted I was struck by how well it has aged, compared to say, Extras, which although much newer, feels a bit old-hat.

Totally agree on both points.

I think Blackadder, The Young Ones and to a lesser degree Fawlty Towers may be overrated. I like all three shows, but I always find it a little strange when people consider Fawlty Towers to be the greatest sitcom. I think it may make my personal top 10, but closer to 10 than 1.

I think hardly any sitcoms are rated at all by normal people, in order to be overrated. Unless you mean overrated by comedy fans, which might be a different issue.

I actually love The Office, I think it's brilliant, but I still think it's overrated. It seems like every house in the country has a copy of the DVD, but I bet most of them don't rewatch it. It feels like something that should have been a cult hit rather than such a mainstream one.

If that makes any sense at all.

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2013, 3:37 PM BST

I think hardly any sitcoms are rated at all by normal people, in order to be overrated. Unless you mean overrated by comedy fans, which might be a different issue.

I actually love The Office, I think it's brilliant, but I still think it's overrated. It seems like every house in the country has a copy of the DVD, but I bet most of them don't rewatch it. It feels like something that should have been a cult hit rather than such a mainstream one.

If that makes any sense at all.

Interesting. I think watching and rewatching comedy are two very different things.

For instance, The Office was brilliant, but it's not rewatchable at all - it's comedy of social embarrassment and claustrophobia which becomes even more excruciating when you know what's coming. On the other hand, something like Father Ted has a nice warm, relaxing atmosphere about it which makes it easy to rewatch even when the initial hilarity has worn off.

Only Fools were overrated a bit.