Right cast, right writer, just plain wrong!

Can you think of examples of bad movies or progs which seemed to have a brilliant cast and a brilliant scriptwriter (or was the adaption of a brilliant book)?

Examples could be The Magic Christian starring Peter Sellers and written by John Cleese, just too psychedelic; Piccadilly Jim whose cast featured Hugh Bonneville and was written by Julian Fellowes; on the small screen you had The Royal Bodyguard with David Jason and Geoffrey Whitehead, written by the same bod who did The Worst Week Of My Life.

Carry On Columbus.

I love the Coen brothers to bits, and their strike rate is amazing, but for me, both THE LADYKILLERS and INTOLERABLE CRUELTY fall into this category by their ridiculously high standards. (Though, to be pedantic, I'd categorise them as "forgettable" movies, rather than "bad".)

Another exhibit for your collection:

Maybe this topic would get more of a response over at the "Writers' Discussion" Forum? Or maybe not?

Also, the main screenwriting credits on THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN were allotted to Terry Southern & Joseph McGrath. Cleese & Graham Chapman (and Peter Sellers) were given less substantial "additional material" credits. But then Terry Southern co-wrote the incredible DR. STANGELOVE, which reinforces your point - that even brilliant writers (and actors) are fallible, or at least are no guarantee of a great programme/movie, sometimes due to "circumstances beyond their control".

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 14 2013, 12:30 PM BST

Can you think of examples of bad movies or progs which seemed to have a brilliant cast and a brilliant scriptwriter (or was the adaption of a brilliant book)?

Examples could be The Magic Christian starring Peter Sellers and written by John Cleese,

The film actually had almost a cricket team of writers which probably explains the mess it was. Terry Southern was one of the original writers. Cleese, Graham Chapman and even Peter Sellers had "additional material" credits. A situation that usually points to a car crash.

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 16 2013, 8:08 AM BST

Like The Meaning of Life? Certainly their weakest offering.

I rather like it. Yellowbeard however seems to meet the criteria for the thread.

Carry On Emmannuelle.

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 17 2013, 9:22 AM BST

Were they ever together?

Yes, in the fun film that was just mentioned.

Quote: chipolata @ May 17 2013, 10:41 AM BST

Your splitting hairs. It had Michael Cera. And Aubrey Plaza.

It failed at the box office

Sadly true!

and was mauled critically.

Sadly not true, majority of critic reviews positive, even to the point it was up for several awards at multiple different ceremonies

I'm sure a few liked it, but by any yardstick it was a failure

Again not true financially maybe, but seem to remember (and maybe wrong) it broke even.

that should have been better when you consider the talent involved.

This even I can't dispute :)

Quote: dannyjb1 @ May 17 2013, 11:45 AM BST

Sadly not true, majority of critic reviews positive,

Yup, just take a look here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/scott_pilgrims_vs_the_world/

High with both critics and audience reviews.

Loved it, personally. The mistake was spending sixty million on what seems an unlikely, niche film, with an unlikely, niche star at the centre.

Quote: chipolata @ May 17 2013, 2:36 PM BST

Laughing out loud Is Scott Pilgrim vs The World your mom? And nice of you to point out my spelling mistake not once but four times. Churlish, you? (Although I seem to remember last time you stalked the boards with any regularity you were busy bullying a vulnerable female member, so I got off lighty!).

LOL ignoring the uncalled for accusation, I can apologise if you think I was being churlish, to be honest it is more a reflection of my poor copying and pasting skills, and you give me more credit than I can claim for even spotting the grammar \ spelling mistake. I am useless at grammar as no doubt the above paragraph proves in many cases.

I'll change it though if you feel I have caused offence.

And the weirdest thing is, I think it's only an okay film :D

Just when lurking my brain did a "you know what, I though the critics loved it".

As you were .

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 16 2013, 8:08 AM BST

Like The Meaning of Life? Certainly their weakest offering.

I'd rather hear from people who aren't writers like me. Us scribblers can be very bitter...

I would argue that And Now For Something Completely Different would be the worst Python film because that just consisted of sketches from the TV series. In The Meaning of Life there are some weak points, but there others which are great like Mr. Creosote.

Marty Feldman's The Last Remake of Beau Gueste, a cast that makes your eyes water, Spike Milligan, Peter Ustinov, Terry-Thomas etc and written by Feldman one of comedy's true geniuses. But it doesn't quite work, although I am fond of it. It may have something to do with the fact the studio butchered it in Feldman's absence.

Others include Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's Hound of the Baskervilles and most of Mel Brooks's stuff post High Anxiety, such as History of the World and Spaceballs.

Life's Too Short. Divides opinion. I haven't liked many of Gervais's solo projects, but I have liked all his joint efforts with Merchant to one degree or another, except for this one.