Bluestone 42 - Series 1 Page 7

Tony Gardner!

Definitely one of the best recent sitcoms, this.

From a forces background perspective, whilst obviously not a fully accurate portrayal of the army (privates physically handling officers, etc), the humour is enjoyable. I don't know whether this is up to scratch with proper, 'in the gutter' army humour, but it makes the attempt and wins a smile from me. I know several other friends and colleagues who watched this due to simply being about the army in Afghanistan which should serve to alleviate fears of offence to military personnel.
As for the "scum of the earth" crap, I simply state get in line with the rest of the aggressive liberals (note aggressive, being pretty liberal myself I have no qualms with those that show measure and respect) and naive pacifists in a generation that has been fortunate enough not to have been forced to serve due to emergency conscription. As has been mentioned, soldiers are vetted before they join up, so they are not 'thugs' that are hired. Yes some are mentally affected afterwards which is still a cause of concern within the military structure. But very few of them are scum before they join up. I'd even go as far to argue that students (bearing in mind I'm also a student) acting far more like thugs at home in the cities then soldiers ever do abroad in wartime (the disgusting celebrations of Thatcher's death being a clear example...yes you can voice your opinion she was a bad PM but do you have to celebrate another human being dying?).
Anyway, Bluestone 42 has a very attuned sense of army humour (which is disgustingly funny as always) which I know is appreciated by many.

I really enjoy this show (ex-hired killer/thug) but I found the latest episode a bit shit. Too convoluted for me.

I think I'm so desperate for new comedy that my shit-filter is not as effective as it once was. I've even found myself chuckling at Plebs. Unimpressed

Really enjoying this, Tony Gardener as the CO is the best thing in it but all the characters are pretty well drawn, and, knowing a little about the military and their, shall we say, "robust" sense of humour, most of it rings fairly true.

One thing that bothers me though, as a Tractor Boy, is that someone involved is a Norwich City fan, noticed a "Carrow Road 3000 miles" sign.

;)

I love this show so muchhh.

Well a bit but not a lot.

I think this show is crap! But this is just my opinion. You can't please everyone

Yep.

Best new sitcom in yonks.

I really, really like this. Brilliant characters.

I have just joined this site and this is my first post on here, so I hope I am doing this right!

I think Bluestone 42 is really good. It's funny, poignant, well-written and well-observed. And, from what I have heard/read, I think it is probably quite true to life. Definitely one of the best new comedies in recent years! :-)

Quote: Tursiops @ April 17 2013, 11:18 PM BST

Best new sitcom in yonks.

New?? Have you seen Gary Tank Commander???

:)
Loved it, liked the characters, liked the gags, liked the setting, loved the music. Wouldn't mind some more gags and hoping the characters continue to build some more (but they are already way less one dimensional than most contempory sitcoms).

I would have been so pissed off if they hadn't recommissioned it - it may be faint praise but it is way better than most of the junk on TV at the moment!

Dave

A little gem. I don't have much time to go exploring for new comedies these days. I just tend to watch two episodes and make my mind up. Anyhoo I was trawling around the BBCiplayer and decided to give this a try. Glad I did. Well rounded characters intelligent script. Good stuff will be watching again.

I'm not sure what's happening to me at the moment. Ambassadors and Bluestone 42 I've liked. Jesus I may be ill. It can't be that after the BBC's years of producing shit comedy they've actually landed on a couple that don't make me want to poke the DG in the eye.

Given the various potential minefields, it seemed sure-footed.

Good ensemble.

Glad it's returning.