Russell Brand

Sorry, but as I couldn't find the previous thread about Russell Brand, I've begun a fresh one.

I've never been a huge fan of his but last night, on the way home from quite an outstanding wine and Twiglet do, I inadvertently heard his Radio 2 programme and really enjoyed it. Although he was constantly stretching the boundaries of good taste he never quite broke them, which makes me question the brief that television programme controllers have when it comes to content over quality.

What I discovered I liked about Russell Brand was that he was funny without having to rely on a crude shockability factor. The same really applies to Jonathan Ross when he’s on radio. Always cheeky but never seedy. On tv, however, Ross is nothing less than seedy as opposed to funny, which doesn't quite work for a man on the wrong side of forty. It's not clever, just uncomfortable viewing.

As for Russell Brand, well, if he's not careful and if he's allowed to, he's going to end up exactly the same as Jonathan Ross which, after listening to Brand's programme yesterday, I would find a great pity.

Russell's great. Very intelligent and funny. But I think he's just as good on TV as he is on radio. Although I do agree he can be completely different from one project to the next.

I think he's really witty. I couldn't watch any of his tv shows though. I remember his stand up, very surreal.

Well, I've always thought he's an utter twat until now, but on such a ringing endorsement from the B, I'll give him a go.

Yeah he's great, his radio show is his best work, his 6 Music show was brilliant and the Radio 2 show is just as good, he works well with Matt Morgan and Trevor Lock.

I thought he was a twat too - especially after the Brits. All that posing, affectation and ridiculous accent. However it may be - but I hope not - that I'm too old too appreciate it. I can understand kids wanting their own TV favourites but apart from a couple of jokes that I did find funny most of it - apart from the delivery - seemed very unoriginal and not funny.

I must be missing something but I just don't find him funny at all, how many times can you say dinkle or nutsack or whatever and still expect it to be funny.....that's assuming that it ever was?

It's just childish humour from a 31 year old and about as funny as catching your dick in your zip..........see, it's easy and anyone can do it. ;)

Unless you're a woman.

Probably...

LOL, I'm not quite sure if that's another joke or not but with the zip gag/line, what I meant was that it's easy and anyone can do it as in anyone can do that kind of humour, not so much that anyone can catch it in their zip! :D

Ha ha, ok. ;)

I just downloaded his podcast fingy. And it was bloody hilarious.

I personally find him about as funny as sitting in front of a whole series of "My Hero" followed immediately by a 'best-of ' DVD of Ardal O'Hanlon doing stand up (which incidentally is about 2 minutes long including credits).
However, having never listened to his Radio show and going by others comments may reserve my judgement.
Andy

Quote: imamazed @ February 25, 2007, 9:34 PM

I must be missing something but I just don't find him funny at all, how many times can you say dinkle or nutsack or whatever and still expect it to be funny.....that's assuming that it ever was?

It's just childish humour from a 31 year old and about as funny as catching your dick in your zip..........see, it's easy and anyone can do it. ;)

That's just an ignorant view you've made of him from seeing him on BBBM though, which is not a proper comedy show and is Big Brother related. His Radio show is completely different from that, he never even utters the words dinkle or ballbags etc. Also check out RE:brand and see what he is really capable of.

I've gone back to listen to the BBC 6 Podcasts recently.
(I'd run out of old Ricky Gervais ones)
I hope we hear Russell back on the radio soon.
He may not be everyones cup of tea, but to me he is a natural comedian with a terrific comic persona.

Bit spooky reading the first post now.

Mr Brand himself admits he has issues and takes things too far at times - but that aside I've enjoyed the majority of what I've seen/ heard/ read.

All I remember from seeing him live is how skinny he was.

I still have a Ponderland clip I watch every now and then. It didn't seem too well received but I thought it was excellent. "Who's that guy?" (How do you clever people do italics and bold on here!?)

Steve I've not downloaded many podcasts yet - are they still available or are you recycling?

JP