And kill prostitutes

Way better than just rewriting some sketches

He said that to you as well?

Bloody typical deity seeking multople bids

Quote: sootyj @ April 16 2013, 11:10 PM BST

Pah God came to me in a vision and asked me to rewrite the book of Mormon

And kill prostitutes

Way better than just rewriting some sketches

Samuel Goldwyn asked you to rewrite the life story of Ethel Merman?

Strike me pink!

You Jewish certainly keep it in the family.

Got asked for a 2nd rewrite monday for my favourite entry so it seems they're up to the thriller section. Just sent in my horror rewrite after fiddling with it day after day and adding more stupid references to idiotic things like a big silly goose. How's everyone else gone on with their rewrites? My second request required more work than the first, I have to rejig the whole structure and I now need to work on a new ending to an entirely new scene, rather than just sit there thinking of funny animals and celebrity names.

That's right, you bastards, rub it in!

I can confirm Kitchen sink re-writes are going out today.

:D

Crying in the corner now....

Well done Stephen and Steve and others, not many episodes left to go now...

Quote: Pete Turton @ April 22 2013, 9:08 PM BST

Crying in the corner now....

No need Pete, nothing final yet!

Got asked for a history sketch rewrite today. Hope there is a "straight in" pile as I submitted better in other categories.

Quote: chipolata @ April 22 2013, 11:03 PM BST

Got asked for a history sketch rewrite today. Hope there is a "straight in" pile as I submitted better in other categories.

Congratulations!

And does that mean 4 of the 5 episodes have been covered? Or more likely it's not quite as ordered as all that.

I'm gutted I never got through on this one, but congratulations to those that did.

It seems a shame that access to the BBC is so limited to unknown writers, but this shows format is at least a start and I hope those that did get get through are given the opportunity to go on to show their worth in their own right.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ April 23 2013, 9:09 AM BST

I'm gutted I never got through on this one, but congratulations to those that did.

There is the chance that something you've written went straight into the accepted pile without needing a rewrite.

Course I write that as someone else who thought they'd written some very good stuff and hasn't heard a peep... It's a little annoying that you're not informed if you've written something that doesn't need a rewrite - leaves you assuming they probably didn't like your work when it was closer to 'right' than those needing rewrites.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ April 23 2013, 9:09 AM BST

It seems a shame that access to the BBC is so limited to unknown writers, but this shows format is at least a start and I hope those that did get get through are given the opportunity to go on to show their worth in their own right.

I guess that practically every writer was unknown at some point, unless nepotism is/was a major factor.

I'd have thought that there'll be hundreds of unknowns submitting who never come to BCG and do get somewhere.

I'd love to get a rewrite email, but would imagine lots of sketches get straight through, so hope is still there!! For those that have had rewrite requests, have they asked for major changes or is it just: 'can you add a funny line here/can you write a better punchline' type thing. Thanks

I have lost the will to write for the moment, but I'll get it back.
If the BBC would have at least set up a system to show they even got the sketches I would have felt more involved and indeed invigorated.

But why would anyone feel sorry for the hundred if not thousands who sat up for hours working on something that doesn't even rate an acknowledgment email.

Quote: StephenM @ April 22 2013, 11:16 PM BST

Congratulations!

And does that mean 4 of the 5 episodes have been covered? Or more likely it's not quite as ordered as all that.

I'd have thought so as the rewrites for SciFi / Horror were April 10, Thriller 15, then it seems across the last few days people have been asked to do History and Kitchen Sink, so I'm crossing my fingers documentary will come this week probably towards the end. I believe they weren't getting as much sent through for Kitchen Sink, so perhaps that didn't take very long to sort through. I didn't get asked for rewrites for either of those categories, with good reason probably!

I think documentary is going to be very competitive though, out of interest what formats did people use for it? A few of mine tried to mix interview with archive recordings to get some action in there, probably about four of my seven, then I did a live shoot of a documentary in the wilderness, a straight interview doc and a more modern reality style documentary.

Quote: golfer @ April 23 2013, 9:47 AM BST

I'd love to get a rewrite email, but would imagine lots of sketches get straight through, so hope is still there!! For those that have had rewrite requests, have they asked for major changes or is it just: 'can you add a funny line here/can you write a better punchline' type thing. Thanks

My first one asked for an extra beat that I really should've thought of myself, a change to the final line and a rethink on how the end itself is initiated. The changes requested were pretty simple but I tightened up the lot anyway.

Second rewrite was more substantial, the idea was liked and I was told there were some good lines but the overall structure needed work and it needed slimming in terms of characters. They gave me a suggestion as to how it should be set out scene wise, so I tailored it mostly to their request with a few new lines thrown in for good measure.

It was good to see the kind of thing they prefer out of all the sketches I sent, I was going to ask them once it has been broadcast if we're allowed to upload the scripts here, it'd be useful to see what other people did that was accepted.