On The Buses Page 6

Thanks for clearing that up, must clean my ears out.

They seemed to make a lot of the names up in OTB as they went along, when they needed them. In the first series Blakey didn't even have a name, just referred to as the Inspector.

Going slightly off topic but I don't think it's worth doing a new thread for - How many sitcoms can anyone name that made the transition from Black & White to colour? OTB, Dad's Army, Steptoe, Till Death Us Do Part, Likely Lads, Up Pompeii!, then erm, erm...? Any more? Still, that's a starry old bunch, that. Oh, Budgie, but that was a comedy drama. Did The Rag Trade make it to colour? I don't remember but it must have been close to it. I'm sure I can see fuzzy clips of one or two more in my head, there must more that did. Oh did The Goodies start in B&W? I'm sure I remember one episode that was...do I?

The Rag Trade had a colour series in the 70s on ITV. Don't think the Goodies did any black and white eps. If you saw one it was probably the only surviving ep of one that was originally in colour.

Up Pompeii! was all in colour, the Are You Being Served? pilot was black and white whilst the series was colour, ITV made two colour series of The Rag Trade, and one episode of The Goodies only survives in black and white (S01E04, I think). Anyway, this is indeed a discussion for another thread.

Regarding character naming, any long-running series does that.

Was it as "funny" as the other series?

Love this show.
I have Reg Varney's autograph, and Bob Grant's autograph, Queenie Watts' autograph, and most of the memorabilia.

;)

Edited by Aaron - spelling and grammar.

http://youtu.be/zWXweIXjyXU

Not a bad sitcom but the jokes are dated. ITV3 seem have a soft spot for it though, as they seem to be continuously showing it.

This may have been mentioned previously, but I think the characters of Arthur & Olive would've made for a good sitcom. Been watching quite a lot of 'On The Buses' of late, mainly due to Arthur and Olive. They were so much funnier than the likes of Stan & Jack. My opinion of course you understand.

Yeah Arthur was the golden voice to this show. How come Arthur was in Holiday on the Buses in 1973 when series 7 was made in 1973?

Quote: David Smith @ April 16 2013, 8:48 PM BST

How come Arthur was in Holiday on the Buses in 1973 when series 7 was made in 1973?

The book, "The Making of On The Buses" by Tex Fisher states:

"The third & final film, Holiday On The Buses, was produced in 1973. Michael Robbins and Reg Varney, who by this time had both left the television series, rejoined the cast one last time in Elstree and on location at Prestatyn Holiday Park in Wales"

Doesn't strictly answer your question I know but...

How weird.

Just stumbled across this, what a great parody. Not sure why they had 'Stan' in bed with 'Olive' though?

http://youtu.be/kB1FgExOvRI

Quote: David Smith @ April 16 2013, 9:24 PM BST

How weird.

I assume they couldn't, or didn't want to, commit themselves to an entire TV series but were available for a one-off film. Let's face it, the film would hardly have been commercially viable without Reg Varney in particular.