Which comedy stars have you met? Page 3

None.

I saw Keith Chegwin and the lovely Maggie Philbin doing some roadshow thingumybob, in a shopping centre in Leeds, when they were still married.

I thought she was married to Mike Smith.

But now I see that was Sarah Greene. Oh, late 80s TV presenters, how confusing you are.

I've had the pleasure of meeting many comedy stars over the years -

Leslie Phillips, Jack Douglas, Jethro, John Challis, Sue Holderness, Paul Barber, Roy Heather, Tessa-Peake Jones, Gwyneth Strong, Jacki Piper, Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Robert Llewellyn, Danny John-Jules, Hattie Hayridge, Norman Lovett, Tim Healey and Jessica Martin (remember her?)

Leslie Phillips in particular is a true old-school gentleman who still has a twinkle in his eye for the ladies. ;)

Many most of them uncomfortable, my favourite and the nicest Bill Maynard

I used to recall when I was on the door at the Scala in Kings Cross for the Comic Strip launch.
Quite a few faces arrived and made their way in without any fuss.
Then Lenny Henry and (I'm pretty sure) Dawn French turned up to a bit of a hullabaloo.
Lenny held out his invite and asked what he should do with it. I foolishly told him to hang on to it as it would remind him of when he met all these famous people.
He didn't 'alf give me a black look.

But I won't on this occasion.

Lesley Judd of Blue Peter fame presented me with a prize at my school in the 70's.
My right hand certainly enjoyed itself that evening!

Quote: Sinon @ April 7 2013, 11:43 AM BST

I saw Keith Chegwin and the lovely Maggie Philbin doing some roadshow thingumybob, in a shopping centre in Leeds, when they were still married.

I've met them too. There was a Swap Shop thing in a Peterborough park and they were having a break in the cafe. I remember being shocked at seeing them smoking.

Quote: Tuumble @ April 8 2013, 2:17 PM BST

I've met them too. There was a Wife Swap Shop thing in a Peterborough park and they were having a break in the cafe. I remember being shocked at seeing them they were smoking. I gave the wife a fiver and sent to Farm foods, whilst I got thoroughly plowed.

It's all go in Peterborough!

Quote: David Smith @ April 5 2013, 2:15 PM BST

He just needed it for the telephone box. Well yeah. If anyone from this site like Aaron or Lee asked I would give them spare change. If they needed it for bus fare I will still give them change. I like helping people. I gave 60 pounds to comic relief on comic relief night.

I once had to show Connie Booth how to use a payphone once, John Cleese was there too but they weren't talking.

Quote: Marc P @ April 8 2013, 2:30 PM BST

I once had to show Connie Booth how to use a payphone once, John Cleese was there too but they weren't talking.

He'd probably tried hitting it with a branch, already.

Quote: Marc P @ April 8 2013, 2:30 PM BST

I once had to show Connie Booth how to abuse me in a payphone once, John Cleese was there too but they weren't talking. He had his mouthful.

It's all go in Sheringham!

Tell me about it. My mate told Steve Coogan she didn't want a photo taken with him the other week and thought his name actually was Alan Partridge!

At a cricket club prize presentation night Dicky Bird the famous umpire was booked to give the awards out.
I was in early and spotted him at the bar so I sidled up to him and ordered some drinks.
I said 'alright Dicky'
'No lad, me bleeding feet are killing me, what with them and me dodgy back and hip I'm in poor fettle. Do ya know lad there was a time when I could stand for 10 hours with no bother, these days I'm in agony after half an hour. I'm gunna have to sit down, bring me drink over will ya lad.

A fairly comprehensive report to the question 'alright Dicky'

I met Roy Hudd several times and once we were chatting on Charing Cross Road when a man came along to congratulate Roy on his performance in a nearby theatre. I remember thinking how gracious he was to give his undivided attention to this admirer. He left and Roy and I continued out chat when another person interrupted. Roy again broke off to talk to the newcomer who said 'Can you tell me how to get to the Whitehall Theatre?' Roy happilly gave him directions.
They're not like us, the big stars.

Quote: Buddy Sorrel @ April 8 2013, 9:44 PM BST

I met Roy Hudd several times and once we were chatting on Charing Cross Road when a man came along to congratulate Roy on his performance in a nearby theatre. I remember thinking how gracious he was to give his undivided attention to this admirer. He left and Roy and I continued out chat when another person interrupted. Roy again broke off to talk to the newcomer who said 'Can you tell me how to get to the Whitehall Theatre?' Roy happilly gave him directions.
They're not like us, the big stars.

Did he keep 'breaking off' because you were getting on his wick?