The Many Faces Of Sid James

At 7:30 I think, BBC Two.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_many_faces_of/episodes/3/3/

An absolute must for me...now that I'm discovering H'sHH at the moment.

Sanitised but pleasant hour, nothing new but some nice old clips. It was nice to hear from Ray Brooks. Sid James was just a one off, it can truly be said there will never be another.

Wasn't exactly sure why Nigel Planer was in this.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 8 2013, 11:56 AM BST

He was cheap

Shame about Hancock's ego trip. The duo worked so well together...and he couldn't have had a better partner than Sid. A guy that didn't want to steal the limelight.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 8 2013, 12:13 PM BST

Shame about Hancock's ego trip. The duo worked so well together...and he couldn't have had a better partner than Sid. A guy that didn't want to steal the limelight.

Hancock wanted to strip away his comedy until he got to the core of what was funny, I don't think it was an ego trip, it was a misguided attempt to discover why he was funny, a dangerous mind game to play. Hancock loved Tati and wanted to make comedy art. He also wanted to make it in the States and rejected many Galton and Simpson scripts because they were too British, and then ironically made The Punch And Judy Man. It must also be remembered that Sid had a healthy career outside Hancock, Hancock's career was Hancock and probably felt if he became too associated with Sid as a double act he would be painted into a corner. Also remember Hancock's greatest moments came after he split from Sid, The Blood Donor, The Lift etc. His greatest mistake was abandoning Galton and Simpson, they were a perfect fit.

He did seem to know a heck of a lot about Sid, though, to be fair.

Interesting to see Liz Frazer.

Quote: Dave @ April 8 2013, 12:24 PM BST

He did seem to know a heck of a lot about Sid, though, to be fair.

Interesting to see Liz Frazer.

Frazer is great, very spiky lady, she worked a lot with Sid, she has said her favourite film she made was with Sid, 'Double Bunk', it's well worth a look.

Quote: Pingl @ April 8 2013, 12:22 PM BST

Also remember Hancock's greatest moments came after he split from Sid, The Blood Donor, The Lift etc. His greatest mistake was abandoning Galton and Simpson, they were a perfect fit.

Haven't seen the "Sidless" episodes yet. Still working my way through the box set. Which is a great joy btw.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 8 2013, 12:29 PM BST

Haven't seen the "Sidless" episodes yet. Still working my way through the box set. Which is a great joy btw.

In that case the best is yet to come. Hancock went on to make a series for ITV, which has its moments but is not a patch on the BBC series, interestingly it got hammered in the ratings by Steptoe. Don't watch his last series for Australian TV it shows Hancock raddled by alcohol, his timing shot and sad shadow of the man he was, I like to remember him at his best with Galton and Simpson and on the BBC

I assumed it was some sort of post modern joke and he was in character as Nicholas Craig.

I never knew Liz Frazer was in the Carry Ons. She said she was typecast in them. Surprised how she faded into obscurity while someone like June Whitfield got her own shows.

She was in Carry On Cruising as a main character but just a cameo in others like Carry On Behind etc.

She was also in two of the Confessions films; funny she doesn't mention them typecasting her.