Not Going Out - Series 6 Page 5

Any other show that ripped its major plotline from a very old joke (although it was originally cats, rather than bunnies, I believe!) and trotted out one of sitcom's biggest/dullest cliches in the 'buy an identical animal to replace dead one' section would usually get short shrift from me. But I was (mostly) too busy laughing to care.

I'm a bit puzzled by all the rave reveiws: "excellent" "great" "hilarious"!!!
I think I must have watched something different to you all. The only funny thing I can remember is Lee running away from the door.

I don't actually remember one funny line.
"Warren Burrows... 1 Rabbit Road" made me cringe. That horse was already dead before Rabbit Road but it did remind me of Porridge (which was nice), which was when I first heard that joke.

I like Lee Mack but I think everything in this was obvious and unfunny... And all a bit laboured. This 'suspension of disbelief' is all well and good but mine won't stretch that far!

Quote: Sinon @ April 6 2013, 11:11 AM BST

I'm a bit puzzled by all the rave reveiws: "excellent" "great" "hilarious"!!!
I think I must have watched something different to you all. The only funny thing I can remember is Lee running away from the door.

I don't actually remember one funny line.
"Warren Burrows... 1 Rabbit Road" made me cringe. That horse was already dead before Rabbit Road but it did remind me of Porridge (which was nice), which was when I first heard that joke.

I like Lee Mack but I think everything in this was obvious and unfunny... And all a bit laboured. This 'suspension of disbelief' is all well and good but mine won't stretch that far!

I think this is one of the rare cases where it's legal to say "It's a nice way of spending 30 minutes". Nothing more, nothing less. Lee Mack's wooden performance and the sloppy timing prevent this from being a classic in any way, imo. A real classic needs charismatic performances by the actors (you mentioned Porridge/Barker!) and a much less sterile atmosphere. But again. There are worse ways of spending 30 minutes. It was like one of the better American sitcoms. Great fun while it lasts...but nothing to remember years after the first watch. But then, like I said, this is my first episode of NGO...so I better keep my mouth shut.

Bit of a one trick pony this show, it passed half an hour, but was too frantic and too eager to please. I miss Tim and his yang to Lee's ying. Still, I've seen worse, however I may tire of its eagerness to chuck the kitchen sink at an easy laugh and the use of old gags and props, elephant man, run over small animals etc

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 6 2013, 8:21 AM BST

The man realising it's not Button before even looking into the bag

Yes I noticed that. I'd completely forgotten due to laughing within a few seconds though.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 6 2013, 11:27 AM BST

I think this is one of the rare cases where it's legal to say "It's a nice way of spending 30 minutes". Nothing more, nothing less. Lee Mack's wooden performance and the sloppy timing prevent this from being a classic in any way, imo. A real classic needs charismatic performances by the actors (you mentioned Porridge/Barker!) and a much less sterile atmosphere. But again. There are worse ways of spending 30 minutes. It was like one of the better American sitcoms. Great fun while it lasts...but nothing to remember years after the first watch. But then, like I said, this is my first episode of NGO...so I better keep my mouth shut.

A person's opinion who's only watched this episode is every bit as valid as someone whose watched them all. I know what you mean though about 'nice to watch'. I'm the same way with Last Of The Summer Wine... I've never actually laughed at anything in that either. It's like a walk in the Yorkshire countryside for people who are to lazy to walk... Like me.

Great start. I didn't miss Tim at all.

Did they mention where he was?

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 6 2013, 11:53 AM BST

Great start. I didn't miss Tim at all.

Did they mention where he was?

Same here.

But why did Daisy not go with Tim to Germany?

Presumably she has a job here. (What is her job?)

Looking silly?

Quote: G180e @ April 6 2013, 12:31 PM BST

Oh, is that what happened to Tim? Must've missed that bit.

It was all in the first few seconds.

Quote: G180e @ April 6 2013, 12:31 PM BST

They said it was a work placement for a couple of ... months? I think. But then that it was going so well he might stay longer. If I recall correctly. So, as they're not married, it would be natural for her to stay here here for what would be assumed to be just a couple of months.

Quote: zooo @ April 6 2013, 1:01 PM BST

It was all in the first few seconds.

Ah.

Top class opener.

:|