Doctor Who... Page 944

Easy, Raymond; it's not worth it!

Is anyone reading IDW's twelve issue 'Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time' comic?

It will feature all eleven Doctors in one story for the first time :)

Issue 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9topu9
Pirate

Quote: harbin nicholson @ April 5 2013, 1:09 AM BST

One of the things I really hate about dr who of late is the fact that the doctor for large parts has become mr bean. The he's a alien who struggles to act normally and act like a normal human being has been well overplayed. 11 has really disappointed me so far.

I would rather have that than Tennant the brooding god

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 5 2013, 8:50 AM BST

Easy, Raymond; it's not worth it!

Oh I know, I just love winding up people who can't tell the difference between fact and opinion :D It gets especially funny when they try to argue that their opinion is objectively correct, of course.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ April 5 2013, 6:40 PM BST

Oh I know, I just love winding up people who can't tell the difference between fact and opinion :D It gets especially funny when they try to argue that their opinion is objectively correct, of course.

Yesthat's a hilarious thing to do. These people who can't tell the difference between fact and opinion. Of course whether they are stating fact or opinion is just your opinion of course. Unless you know everything?

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2013, 8:16 PM BST

Of course whether they are stating fact or opinion is just your opinion of course.

Is that a fact?

Yup! :)

IN YOUR OPINION!

Yes but I am very very opinionated!

Ahhh, then in that case your opinion becomes fact, Like Godot's :)

Yeah pretty much , he is a bright guy too.

Quote: Badhead @ April 5 2013, 12:54 PM BST

I would rather have that than Tennant the brooding god

I wouldn't say Tennant was a brooder.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ April 5 2013, 6:40 PM BST

Do you want me to deal with what you've said or what you intended to say? There isn't anyone on this thread whose intelligence is so mean - even you - that they can't tell the difference between opinion and fact. But that debate did not happen - the only person who's talked about opinion and fact is you.

Secondly no-one (again) is arguing that opinion (de facto subjective) is objectively true, so there is no reason for you to laugh or get excited in any way.

If however, you are suggesting that my comments about the Zygon design are opinion - ie a matter of personal taste and of equal value to yours - then you are very wrong.

I gave fairly detailed reasons why the new design is inferior to the original (more generic, less fragile and alien/marine-like, more like a costume) and suggested it was because it was designed by someone with less talent than the original designer and less of a firm hold on the brief.

This type of criticism is routine territory for any designer - and I am one - which is why I often make comments on the show's design. Good design is just that right mix of the familiar and the innovative. It's easy to give a monster heavy muscles, angled brows, jutting jaw and pointed teeth. Sure it looks menacing, but it's also a cliché. The original Zygon design is just that - original. Instead of muscles you have a fragile-looking pigeon chest and a turtle-like face that is harder to read and more interesting.

The new design looks like Stig of the dump with a traffic cone on his head.

We talk about this stuff from time to time - us designers - how re-designing often throws out what was good in the original - a classic example being the Alien design from the later Alien movies. Originally the Alien had human-looking feet with long toenails - which helped engender feelings of disgust and uneasiness. By the third movie they'd given it clawed feet and a dinosaur walk. It had gone from being some kind of shadowy, invasive human nightmare into being just a. n. other monster. The design dropped in effectiveness by several hundred degrees. All because the people who worked on it didn't take the time or lacked the ability to understand why it was so effective originally.

It's quite likely if you've seen these movies that you didn't notice the difference between the versions, since by your own admission you didn't even notice that the second Zygon pic featured a different design. This lack of visual acuity is not a platform from which you can challenge the design awareness of anyone else, in case you hadn't realised.

Did you send your CV in yet?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 6 2013, 2:31 AM BST

I gave fairly detailed reasons why the new design is inferior to the original (more generic, less fragile and alien/marine-like, more like a costume) and suggested it was because it was designed by someone with less talent than the original designer and less of a firm hold on the brief.

This type of criticism is routine territory for any designer - and I am one - which is why I often make comments on the show's design. Good design is just that right mix of the familiar and the innovative. It's easy to give a monster heavy muscles, angled brows, jutting jaw and pointed teeth. Sure it looks menacing, but it's also a cliché. The original Zygon design is just that - original. Instead of muscles you have a fragile-looking pigeon chest and a turtle-like face that is harder to read and more interesting.

The new design looks like Stig of the dump with a traffic cone on his head.

See, what you've done there is to make objective statements about the new design (heavy muscles etc) but decide this makes it inferior. It's this last bit where you transition from fact to opinion. There's no reason other people, even the majority of people, can't prefer the new version. And if they do, what exactly makes your preference objectively better than anyone else's?

You're both wrong because, clearly, both costumes are crap.