The Show What You Wrote Page 7

Quote: swerytd @ March 19 2013, 3:46 PM GMT

Here's my sketch template for Newsjack in Google Docs. If you download it to Word format it should retain the correct formatting.

Dan

Excellent. Thanks for that Dan. Thats exactly what I need :)

If you have a problem with a particular line of dialogue, just use Word's paste format facility

You've probably already noticed this, but Tom Neenan and Jack Bernhardt have posted example scripts on the show's website to illustrate what they're after - there's one for thriller and one for kitchen sink.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r1s2h/features/kitchen-sink-example

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r1s2h/features/thriller-example

Quote: The Producer @ March 19 2013, 6:28 PM GMT

If you have a problem with a particular line of dialogue, just use Word's paste format facility

Its working a bit better but I'm still having problems with the positioning of the character. It moves into the middle of the page and when I tab it back it brings the dialogue with it. The link Dan gave me is great to have the header in every page automatically but the character and dialogue still move into the centre and are not in a uniform pattern.

How does the word paste facility work? Also would it be easier to just do it in celtx or something? Thanks again and sorry for being such an idiot about it.

Otterfox - select the section of text in question (or the whole document), then right-click and select "Paragraph". In there find "Indentation-Special" and set that to "Hanging" with a "By" value of 4cm. Now you simply type your character name in uppercase then hit TAB - the speech will automatically stay over on the right across multiple lines. To start the next character hit return twice and repeat the above.

Things can go a bit funny in Word if you select existing text and re-format so if you find the above doesn't work, try it on a completely new document - you can then copy and paste in the text into the correct layout once you have it working.

Quote: skram @ March 20 2013, 2:21 PM GMT

Otterfox - select the section of text in question (or the whole document), then right-click and select "Paragraph". In there find "Indentation-Special" and set that to "Hanging" with a "By" value of 4cm. Now you simply type your character name in uppercase then hit TAB - the speech will automatically stay over on the right across multiple lines. To start the next character hit return twice and repeat the above.

Things can go a bit funny in Word if you select existing text and re-format so if you find the above doesn't work, try it on a completely new document - you can then copy and paste in the text into the correct layout once you have it working.

Thanks for that Skram. I'll try your steps. I'll get there eventually. Lets hope its before 29th. Much appreciated :)

Similar to what Skram said but I do this after opening a new word doc - you

At top of word doc select

Format - Paragraph - this takes you to a small box where you then

Indentation - special- hanging - by - 4cm

Line spacing - 1.5

Press ok

After doing that press Format again, then paragraph - then Tabs - 4cm

Then off you go, write your character name, press tab and then only press enter when you want to start a new character.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 20 2013, 3:46 PM GMT

Line spacing - 1.5

Ah yes, and that!

I know you put all one liners into one document but do you do the same with sketches or send them each in a separate document?

Separate sketches, each with its own title, but the submission guidelines say you should send one email per show theme, i.e. send all your "thriller" sketches in one email with several attachments.

Thank you.

Do we know who the script editors are? Is it basically the same production as Newsjack?

Should runner sketches be submitted as one single document, or divided into separate documents?

Also, if a sketch is suitable for more than one different category (e.g. kitchen sink and documentary), is it worth sending it twice?

Nah, I'd just write both categories on the bit where you're specifying the categories.

Dan

Quote: groovydude89 @ March 26 2013, 2:40 PM GMT

Should runner sketches be submitted as one single document, or divided into separate documents?

Also, if a sketch is suitable for more than one different category (e.g. kitchen sink and documentary), is it worth sending it twice?

Everybody will have sent documentary sketches. To send the same sketch twice seems non-professional to me. Up to you...