Hancock's Half Hour Page 6

Quote: Aaron @ February 28 2013, 2:08 AM GMT

Of recent years/decades, it rather is.

Well OK, but it still doesn't justify his original statement.

I was watching the episode "The Big Night" a few days ago. It felt a bit like the inspiration for the whole "Bottom" show. Two more or less pathetic guys prepare for a big night out with drinks and "birds". One of them is the more down to earth laid back guy (Sid James/Eddie Hitler) the other the wannabe sophisticated ladylover (Tony Hancock/Richie Richard). Both insulting but encouraging each other at the same time. And of course, the night out ends in a disaster.
I wonder how many shows that came after were inspired by HHH.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 6 2013, 11:31 AM GMT

I was watching the episode "The Big Night" a few days ago. It felt a bit like the inspiration for the whole "Bottom" show. Two more or less pathetic guys prepare for a big night out with drinks and "birds". One of them is the more down to earth laid back guy (Sid James/Eddie Hitler) the other the wannabe sophisticated ladylover (Tony Hancock/Richie Richard). Both insulting but encouraging each other at the same time. And of course, the night out ends in a disaster.

That's a good call. It would be interesting to know if it was deliberate or a sub-conscious thing. That said they might not even have seen it.

Nice appearance by Clive Dunn in the "Army Reunion" episode. Here again he played his character with a slight hint at senility.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 6 2013, 11:31 AM GMT

I love Bottom, it's not the greatest sitcom ever - but it is my favourite (if that makes sense).

But!

If you go through every episode they are littered with bits and pieces and ideas 'borrowed' from mainly Rising Damp, but Hancock also

There's many many many of these instances

I've mentioned this in the Bottom thread but was shot down

But the evidence is there for all to see!

Quote: lofthouse @ March 20 2013, 1:03 PM GMT

I love Bottom, it's not the greatest sitcom ever - but it is my favourite (if that makes sense).

But!

If you go through every episode they are littered with bits and pieces and ideas 'borrowed' from mainly Rising Damp, but Hancock also

There's many many many of these instances

I've mentioned this in the Bottom thread but was shot down

But the evidence is there for all to see!

Richie's snobbery with claiming to be a poor man at the same time if it comes to pay day is very much Rigsby-esque.
I like to discover those influences or "borrowed" bits and pieces.

It's easy.

Watch all of Rising Damp and Hancock's Half Hour, then watch all three series of Bottom.

All will be revealed.....

It's mainly Rising Damp but HHH is there in spades too.

What's the show being rehearsed ?

The Missing Page?

Peg eight !

:D

Quote: lofthouse @ March 20 2013, 1:53 PM GMT

It's easy.

Watch all of Rising Damp and Hancock's Half Hour, then watch all three series of Bottom.

All will be revealed.....

It's mainly Rising Damp but HHH is there in spades too.

Watched "Sid in Love" Yesterday. Again, it was like a lost Bottom episode. Sid was in love with a bus conductress so they took a bus ride on that bus. First they tried to pull this "bird" for Sid and insulted her and other bus passengers. Then they sat quietly watching out of the window and commented on the funny things they saw (just like Richie and Eddie at the beginning of Carnival"). In the end they had a fight with the husband of the conductress. Tony was behaving exactly like Richie would in such a situation. Snobby but insulting and violent at the same time.

The episode "s'out" where they have to spend a week in the wilderness I.e. The local park! - is a nod to the HHH radio ep , the wild man of the woods IMO

The Blood Donor was my favourite. Amazing sketches. This comedy is just simply great.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 20 2013, 1:10 PM GMT

Richie's snobbery with claiming to be a poor man at the same time if it comes to pay day is very much Rigsby-esque.
I like to discover those influences or "borrowed" bits and pieces.

Here we go again!

I'm just watching the HHH episode The Set That Failed

The whole premise is that Tony has to go a whole night without television

That's pretty much the whole point of the Bottom episode Culture!!

Ffs, Ritchie evens wears a smoking jacket - just like Hancock does in The Set that Failed

Stone me!

So does this diminish the 'greatness' of your beloved Bottom? For me it would. It did pick two cracking good models to brazenly steal from tho so it gets some credit for that. But theft is theft! Or is it just inspiration and influence? Oh do you know, this incredibly complex yet breathtakingly inept copyright law thing just gets so confusing. :S x10.