Goodbye BBC Television Centre Page 3

They don't make any TV there though do they. That's all radio, news, website, commissioning, hospitality and hobnobbing with VIPs, overmangmement and general BBC scandal creating. A flagship building from BBC's birth, little more. They'll never be allowed to sell that one.

Strictly speaking, they haven't sold TVC. The BBC retain the freehold of the site, thus remaining in ultimate control, but have entered into a long-term leasehold redevelopment deal with others.

Amidst all this "end of TVC" hyperbole, it also seems to have been forgotten that the BBC will return to the site as early as next year, when the three oldest studios are refurbished. Further, the newest section of the building, not completed until the late 1990s, will be renovated and become home to BBC Worldwide.

Just to let you know guys...
On Friday night @ 8.30pm BBC4 are holding a special evening entitled "Goodbye television centre" to say a proper farewell to the place.

Not sure what all the nostalgia is about. The huge investment in the the TV Centre resulted in everything being shot on videotape on rickety sets, hence every British drama made by the BBC during the seventies being virtually unwatchable despite the brilliance of the writing and the performances.

Quote: Tursiops @ March 19 2013, 6:49 PM GMT

Not sure what all the nostalgia is about. The huge investment in the the TV Centre resulted in everything being shot on videotape on rickety sets, hence every British drama made by the BBC during the seventies being virtually unwatchable despite the brilliance of the writing and the performances.

Because it's an icon, like the Hollywood sign. Practicality is irrelevant to nostalgia and physical structures being iconic. The outdated means of production is, of course, much of why the closure is happening.

It hardly qualified as an architectural gem either; but yes lots of nostalgia from has been talking heads is to be expected. It really does symbolise the BBC of another era. The one that had Jimmy Saville in it.

Yes, one Jimmy Savile totally undoes decades of BBC greats having worked there...
Rolling eyes

Re. nostalgia, some people feel it, some don't. Some don't even get nostalgic about their own homes after 30 years of living there, so they're never going to feel it about another building. Even if it has produced all their favourite TV since childhood.

Many years ago I had the BBC Works Dept. as one of my customers and had to call into TV Centre from time to time. Normally meeting at sites various around the complex on maintenance matters.

One day in particular my Beeb contact was running late for our meeting and asked me to wait for him in the green room until he was free. He then subsequently joined me and I'll never forget sitting there flogging my wares alongside Kim Wilde, Alison Moyet, Wham and I seem to remember it might have been Bronski Beat too (it was a TotP recording day before they moved to Elstree), the cast of Juilette Bravo and another major drama of the time that I now can't remember its name.

Surreal hardly covered it. As a kid I had been in awe of the place and I am rather sad to see it go. Still, all things must pass as someone once said / sang.

Quote: Tursiops @ March 19 2013, 6:57 PM GMT

It hardly qualified as an architectural gem either

Well, no. But the point is that it's really the only symbol of the British entertainment industry, isn't it? I'm not even sure how many members here would recognise the sound stages of Pinewood or Ealing, but you can be sure everyone knows that front courtyard of TVC, just as - to hark back to my previous post - everyone knows the Hollywood sign as an emblem of all that is glitzy and glamourous in the US film and media world. Can you think of anything better than TVC as a UK equivalent? I can't.

Clearly it's beyond any real scrutiny, but the fact remains that for many people TV Centre is a sole encapsulation of their idea of British television, of glamour, fame and entertainment.

Granada was the same in Manchester, but they are moving, times change, nothing can stand still and neither should it; otherwise everything is in danger of turning into a museum. The BBC needs to be relevant to today's world not stay stuck in the past, turning into some kind of living history exhibit would certainly signal its demise.

Quote: Aaron @ March 19 2013, 7:32 PM GMT

but the fact remains that for many people TV Centre is a sole encapsulation of their idea of British television, of glamour, fame and entertainment.

What he just said.

Quote: Aaron @ March 19 2013, 7:32 PM GMT

Well, no. But the point is that it's really the only symbol of the British entertainment industry, isn't it? I'm not even sure how many members here would recognise the sound stages of Pinewood or Ealing, but you can be sure everyone knows that front courtyard of TVC, just as - to hark back to my previous post - everyone knows the Hollywood sign as an emblem of all that is glitzy and glamourous in the US film and media world. Can you think of anything better than TVC as a UK equivalent? I can't.

Clearly it's beyond any real scrutiny, but the fact remains that for many people TV Centre is a sole encapsulation of their idea of British television, of glamour, fame and entertainment.

This, for me.

Quote: zooo @ March 19 2013, 11:10 AM GMT

On the outside, it is quite a cool old building. It could be a lot worse.

it is alot worse look there is a statue of savile knock the statue apart :S

Call me an alien, but if you'd shown me a picture of this place before I read this thread, I wouldn't have had a clue where it was. Maybe it's only familiar to people further south.

Any place that Alan Partridge ran through with a piece of Stilton on a fork shouting "Smell my cheese!" is one of Britain's great treasures.