Did The Flintstones jump the shark?

Does anyone feel that the Flintstones jumped the shark in the last two seasons, I don't think it did but it did seem to be aimed more at a younger audience at the point when Pebbles and Bam Bam came along in Season Four. There are some good moments in Seasons Five and Six with some good guest stars such as Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York lending their voice talents in one episode when they guested as the characters they played in Bewitched.

I think its safe to say that the first three seasons were the funniest as the plots were the same as adult sitcoms of the period. It was initially shown in a primetime slot in its early years.

My all time fave eipsode is "The Twitch" which cashed in on the twist craze.

I've only really watched the first few series, but I remember my mum at the time being well pissed off with Bam Bam... haha

I recently found a full length Flintstones special that I'd never heard of before. The Man Called Flintstone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yse_EyyVU

I have no idea what season equates to what ... but The Great Gazoo. Seriously.

I haven't seen it since I was about 7, and I'm not sure I was thinking in terms of seasons or disappointing plots or target audiences or jumping the shark back then.

I'm pretty sure I always assumed it was aimed at kids though.

Quote: Eric Pode @ March 1 2013, 2:08 AM GMT

Does anyone feel that the Flintstones jumped the shark in the last two seasons, I don't think it did but it did seem to be aimed more at a younger audience at the point when Pebbles and Bam Bam came along in Season Four. There are some good moments in Seasons Five and Six with some good guest stars such as Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York lending their voice talents in one episode when they guested as the characters they played in Bewitched.

I think its safe to say that the first three seasons were the funniest as the plots were the same as adult sitcoms of the period. It was initially shown in a primetime slot in its early years.

My all time fave eipsode is "The Twitch" which cashed in on the twist craze.

Well I've never thought of it as a sitcom before but you're right it was a cartoon take on a US style sitcom, and not very much different.

What did you think of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home? I loved it, and it was just like a sitcom.

WTYFGH was great for sure. It was one of those shows that took decades to get a decent copy of, but they're available now.

Here's the first series in full eps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spahnranch/videos?query=father

Cor blimey just spent half an hour back in the past, it was all very lovely. Cheers for link, I'll use that again. :)

I don't know, but I believe Fred once slid on a brontosaurus.

Quote: David Bussell @ March 5 2013, 10:32 AM GMT

I don't know, but I believe Fred once slid on a brontosaurus.

Every title sequence when the whistle-bird went...

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 5 2013, 11:30 AM GMT

Every title sequence when the whistle-bird went...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 5 2013, 12:56 AM GMT

Well I've never thought of it as a sitcom before but you're right it was a cartoon take on a US style sitcom, and not very much different.

What did you think of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home? I loved it, and it was just like a sitcom.

Really liked Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, don't think it has been repeated enough as you rightly say it was very much like a sitcom.

Even as a kid I thought "The Flintstones" was a pile of cack, the same as bloody "Happy Days" which seemed to be on all the flipping time.

The Flintstones was like Happy Days? Have you watched either since you were a kid?

Happy Days was always shit. The Flintstones was sometimes great.

I can't help feeling that viewers not wanting original storylines in old shows is a bad thing. It was one of the most creative shows on TV, why shouldn't it try to be original?

Quote: faceless @ March 13 2013, 4:56 AM GMT

Happy Days was always shit. The Flintstones was sometimes great.

Do what? To an undiscerning child, Happy Days was great, at least until Richie left and the Fonz became a soppy father-figure to Chachi (spelling?). But Tom Bosley was always boss - the real star of the show and the main reason for watching.

Celebrity trash gossip mags have not been kind to Erin Moran of late.