Freaks and Geeks

Has anyone every seen this brilliant little series? It was first broadcast in 1999 for an 18 episode season but was not renewed for a second season. It was created by Paul Feig and produced by Judd Apatow (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad). It featured familiar faces from the Apatow crew such as Seth Rogen and Jason Segel and it's the same kind of humour.

It's set in an American high school and it's basically the alternative to all the high school jock movies, it's about...well...the freaks and the geeks. I recently bought the DVD boxset which fans demanded be released, so after years of trying to get clearance rights on all the music used on the show it finally saw the light of day. It's really funny, realistic, free of predictable, cliche type endings and even quite heart-warming. The cast is brilliant (it won the Emmy for Most Outstanding Cast in 2000), the characters are really likable and the show just has a great tone to it. I definitely recommend checking this one out. :)

I liked the show alot, shame it got cancelled.

Great show! Definitely in the category of some of the most underrated of American television. If you liked that Apatow also took another swing at tv comedy with "Undeclared" it ran for a short stint but was my favorite show when it was on. It was really funny. And you can of course see a lot of the same cast in Undeclared now in his movies.

Loved it. It's amazing. Jason Segel FTW. Also rgeat theme music/titles. Joan Jett = :D

Going to watch the pilot now, verdict later...

I'm a big fan of Freaks and Geeks. It has such heart and humour and great music to boot.

And the DVD boxset is awesome. More commentary tracks then I've ever seen before and really lovingly put together.

One of the greatest American shows of all time in my opinion.

Yeah it seemed OK, although no enough to keep my attention for the full length. Too much drama not enough comedy - that's not really a bad thing, but I was in the mood to watch a comedy, not drama.

Yeah it is a comedy drama, but that doesn't take away from how much of a brilliant show it is. Put together with so much care and thought, brilliantly cast, realistic, heartwarming and funny. The boxset is well worth getting hold of.

Never seen this before, but heard a lot of good things about it. Going to give the pilot episode a watch in a bit.

Quote: Ben @ March 9 2013, 10:31 PM GMT

Never seen this before, but heard a lot of good things about it. Going to give the pilot episode a watch in a bit.

It is fantastic.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 9 2013, 10:41 PM GMT

It is fantastic.

Agreed.

Although I was on such a downer after I finished the boxset, knowing there was never a second series and now never could be.

Just finished the pilot and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will watch the rest!

Is it wrong that I laughed when Eli broke his arm?