Star Trek Movie! Page 6

Quote: Afinkawan @ May 22 2009, 12:23 PM BST

Why not? Are any of them megastars who would only do films?

Yes. No. Maybe. Pick any of those three answers.

Actually, Simon Pegg most certainly wouldn't.

Quote: Timbo @ May 27 2009, 11:57 PM BST

Not as good as First Contact, or even The Voyage Home, but preferable to most others in the canon. Karl Urban was Bones to a tee, and Zachary Quinto made a decent stab at Spock; Simon Pegg did a respectable job of reinterpreting Scotty, and most of the other regulars were passable, though Chris Pine lacked any of Shatner's physicality or intensity as Kirk.

My main complaint was the lazy alternate reality plot device, that has absolved the writers of any necessity to remain faithful to established Star Trek lore in this or any future franchise outings. If Mitchell & Webb's screenwriter characters had been commissioned to do the script, this is what they might have come up with.

Actually the more I reflect on it (and sober up - it was a long night), the more I am coming round to thinking that, once you scrape off the glossy production values and edited for adrenalin action scenes, you are left with a steaming pile of dog poo. Sorry for any spoilers, but surely only Mitchell & Webb's hacks could have come up with the young James T. Kirk as James Dean or a Kirk-Uhuru-Spock love triangle, let alone scientific explanations straight out of a Flash Gordon early morning cinema serial ('red matter'?! WTF?!) or coincidences so outrageous they would have had Dickens spluttering; and in just what sort of armed force does a cadet get promoted to Captain of the bloody flagship? This was lazily written stuff by writers with no feel or respect for the original.

Quote: Timbo @ May 27 2009, 11:57 PM BST

Karl Urban was Bones to a tee, and Zachary Quinto made a decent stab at Spock; Simon Pegg did a respectable job of reinterpreting Scotty, and most of the other regulars were passable, though Chris Pine lacked any of Shatner's physicality or intensity as Kirk.

I agree with all of that except for the stuff about Pine, I thought he did a really good job.

Quote: Timbo @ May 28 2009, 5:13 PM BST

or a Kirk-Uhuru-Spock love triangle

I wasn't impressed by that.

Quote: Timbo @ May 28 2009, 5:13 PM BST

Actually the more I reflect on it (and sober up - it was a long night), the more I am coming round to thinking that, once you scrape off the glossy production values and edited for adrenalin action scenes, you are left with a steaming pile of dog poo. Sorry for any spoilers, but surely only Mitchell & Webb's hacks could have come up with the young James T. Kirk as James Dean or a Kirk-Uhuru-Spock love triangle, let alone scientific explanations straight out of a Flash Gordon early morning cinema serial ('red matter'?! WTF?!) or coincidences so outrageous they would have had Dickens spluttering; and in just what sort of armed force does a cadet get promoted to Captain of the bloody flagship? This was lazily written stuff by writers with no feel or respect for the original.

I think you would probably agree with this Onion news story Timbo
You're complaining about a time traveling episode but you still liked "Voyage Home" better? We reboot sci-fi all the time why is Star Trek such a sacred cow and why can't the characters differ from their original attributes?
I loved this Star Trek and put it in my top 3 Trek films. If anything this sets up an audience who would have never watched Star Trek to watch a part two with a little more sci fi to it. And that I think is a good thing.

Quote: Curt @ May 28 2009, 5:40 PM BST

I think you would probably agree with this Onion news story Timbo

404 Page Not Found - No worky!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film
There you go, that should work.

Quote: Curt @ May 28 2009, 5:52 PM BST

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film
There you go, that should work.

Quality! tbh I have never been much of a Trek fan - its all a bit too worthy for me - but the whole Trek franchise has been based on maintaining and building a consistent body of lore; if you are going to rip that up and start again - and there is no reason why you shouldn't - then be honest about it, don't try to have your cake and eat it with this alternate reality shit.

But my main objection is that the plot absolutely sucked.

If you strip down any movie the same way you've striped down Star Trek most movies plot suck.
That would make a pretty good thread.

Shawshank Redemption: Guy rips off Warden at his jail to escape.
Schindler's list: Guy feels bad for Jews so he buys them all so they don't die.
Citizen Kane: A f**king sled

It is not the simplicity of the plot I object to, it is the hamfisted contrivance.

mmmmmm ham

Quote: Curt @ May 28 2009, 6:17 PM BST

If you strip down any movie the same way you've striped down Star Trek most movies plot suck.
That would make a pretty good thread.

Shawshank Redemption: Guy rips off Warden at his jail to escape.
Schindler's list: Guy feels bad for Jews so he buys them all so they don't die.
Citizen Kane: A f**king sled

Little old foreign guy hides in cupboard and touches children.
Guy watches his mum get murdered and inspires him to take part in orgy.
Brother and sister consider incest, when their dad kills the rest of their family.

So which films are these?

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2009, 6:53 PM BST

Little old foreign guy hides in cupboard and touches children.

E.T

Guy watches his mum get murdered and inspires him to take part in orgy.

Eyes Wide Shut? I never saw it, it's just the first orgy movie that came to mind.

Brother and sister consider incest, when their dad kills the rest of their family.

????

1 Correct
2 Bambi
3 Starwars a New Hope.

Rabies drives a boy to kill.

Star Trek Into Darkness - NEW (Teaser) Trailer #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxZcxkFZZP0

:)

Cool, I've enjoyed the first. And this trailer is looking good.