Ever Decreasing Circles Page 4

I remember my mum telling me that I had to watch this show, because, to quote her, 'The man in it is just like your dad.'

I really did like this show. Martin, perpetually envious of Paul, sees police cars outside his hourse one night and says emphatically, 'Well. They've GOT him.' It was great.

Howard and Hilda...

Interestingly, Briers claimed Martin was his favourite character to play, and he would have moved if Tom Good had been his neighbour.

On repeat viewing nearly 3 decades on, the main character, Martin, comes across as an insufferable busy body and jobsworth. He's totally unlikeable and why on Earth his attractive and vivacious younger wife stayed with him is anyone's guess? It was almost as though she felt indebted to him and obliged to stay?

I didn't think Martin insufferable. He was more of a do-gooder, albeit one who is firmly convinced he knows best.

I haven't seen all Richard Briers series but of those I've seen, it's my favourite.

I've been watching old episodes of New Tricks and was tickled to see him take on the role of a terrible wife-poisoning villain.

Quote: gb901 @ February 27 2013, 5:56 PM GMT

On repeat viewing nearly 3 decades on, the main character, Martin, comes across as an insufferable busy body and jobsworth. He's totally unlikeable and why on Earth his attractive and vivacious younger wife stayed with him is anyone's guess? It was almost as though she felt indebted to him and obliged to stay?

Did she remain faithful though ? On the face of it, yes. But . . . .

She knows that besides all his nonsense he is a decent man.

Apparently Martin did help her out of some difficulty many years ago, so she will always feel indebted to him.

Martin would seem much more insufferable if his wife was timid and afraid to speak out against him. Ann repeatedly points out that Martin is being silly, or unreasonable, and this conflict is where the comedy comes from.

Quote: Rose2010 @ February 27 2013, 9:24 PM GMT

I didn't think Martin insufferable. He was more of a do-gooder, albeit one who is firmly convinced he knows best.

I haven't seen all Richard Briers series but of those I've seen, it's my favourite.

I've been watching old episodes of New Tricks and was tickled to see him take on the role of a terrible wife-poisoning villain.

In NT didn't his character go around killing dogs for their livers or something? Pirate

Richard Bries was great in this. Also I thought 4 series was just about right for this. Written by the great Esmonde and Larbey who wrote As Times Goes By. I thought this was made before The Good Life but it wasn't. I am tempted to buy the box set but other things are going through my mind.

Probably about time to bump this up, given that it's being given a run out on BBC4. Thursday 16th, 8pm, double bill.

One the greats. Under-rated, though. Oh yes.

Recently finished all 4 series and hated for it to come to an end. Easily among the top most enjoyable shows ever. Deserves more acclaim than it gets, IMO

Have it archived and, after some time, will definitely watch again.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 14th January 2014, 3:30 PM GMT

Probably about time to bump this up, given that it's being given a run out on BBC4. Thursday 16th, 8pm, double bill.

One the greats. Under-rated, though. Oh yes.

Really enjoyed the recent repeats. One of the few 1980s sitcoms to be as good, if not better than you remember it.

But why oh why have the BBC only repeated the first two series and then stopped?

Have loved watching this series though I would hate Paul as a neighbour - slimy man constantly trying to get in your wife's knickers.

I have recently re-watched Ever Decreasing Circles starring Richard Briers (RB) and found it to still be very funny in places and most enjoyable the rest of the time. With its great characters it has aged really well.

I slightly prefer EDC to The Good Life and I also like RB in Monarch Of The Glen, a comedy/light drama that I think of fondly in the same way as The Darling Buds Of May starring David Jason.

Have been watching this a lot recently. Something it has in common with One Foot in the Grave it has an early cameo appearance by Ray Winstone! Really love the show, great characters and funny situations, some really nice moments. In my top three sitcoms

Always thought Howard and Hilda should have had their own spin off series.

Bit of trivia..............Hilda (Geraldine Newman) turned up in one of the remaining Dr Finlay series I was watching on DVD.