Newsjack - Series 8 Page 16

Mine was the lightening striking the Vatican Jack App bit.

Congrats to all who made it on - or thereabouts...I see on their Twitter feed that they got 895 emails for this episode, so it is very impressive to be plucked out of that lot (By comparison on the week I last got a credit - Series 6, episode 6 - they received a paltry 399 emails IIRC!)

Traditionally they get more submissions in week two than week one...so I might hold off on submitting anything more until episode 3!

Well that's one sketch done. Maybe a bit early but it does include a cracking pun which is always good :P Unfortunately due to work on Sunday and Monday it'll have to be a late nighter for me on Sunday night to get another two done. What does everybody else do out of interest?

Could anyone please put my mind at rest by telling me they've heard a version of the opening sketch (the one with the 'pun claxon') before? I ask because I sent a sketch in last February about the then-topical fish-smuggling story, in which had certain similarities, and I'd like to think they didn't reuse my work, but that we'd both referenced something earlier.

Of course, it's probably just a co-incidence anyway, these things happen, I'd have to be self-obsessed and paranoid to think anyone would bother reuse my work, etc etc...but I'd still like to know if mine was already unoriginal back then.

This was it:

JUSTINDrug smuggling is like the film The Iron Lady, highly rewarding for the heroine. This week, 2 polish men were jailed for 11 years each for smuggling cocaine in amongst a consignment of live fish. Now I know what you're thinking, "here come the awful fish puns", so the producer has rigged up a warning buzzer to sound, should I even think of taking that oppor-tuna-ty...

FX: BUZZ

PRODUCERTuna.

JUSTINSee how hard it is?

PRODUCERSea.

JUSTINIf you're going to be like that, "we'll" be here all night.

PRODUCERWhale.

JUSTINOh come on! A whale's not even a fish, for God's sake!

FX: TWO BUZZES

PRODUCERCod, hake.

JUSTINOK, forget it. I can't work like this.

PRODUCERSorry Justin, let's just finish the item.

JUSTINNo, no, I'm not doing it. No, I'm sorry. No. Next item. NHS reforms are like Boris Johnson's hair; a complete and utter mess. The government wants GPs to have more power, but "had doctors"...

PRODUCERHaddock.

JUSTINArgh!

FX: SOUND OF BUZZER BEING DESTROYED

END

It doesn't sound anything like the sketch they used and I see Stephen said they added the klaxton bit which would have been the only tenuous link between both sketches.
But it's a good sketch Nogget :)

Well it was the klaxon thing which 'rang a bell' with me... but I'm sure I'm just being typically paranoid.

Thanks for the praise, and obviously major respect goes out to Stephen and anyone else who got stuff on.

Quote: Nogget @ February 16 2013, 10:40 AM GMT

Well it was the klaxon thing which 'rang a bell' with me... but I'm sure I'm just being typically paranoid.

Thanks for the praise, and obviously major respect goes out to Stephen and anyone else who got stuff on.

Rang a klaxon, surely.

Well done to everyone that got something on! There was a lot of really high quality stuff and by the looks of it mostly from people on here.
Apologies for another question post, hopefully eventually I will be able to add value as well as leech off this forum but in the meantime...

What format do people suggest for Diary entries? I've taken a copy of the conveniently posted sketch format (12pt Arial, 4cm indent etc.) Is it best to use that with the day effectively acting as the person and then the diary entry acting as the speech or give each day heading its own line and then the diary entry for that day non-indented below it?
I'm currently doing one using the former and it doesn't lend itself to multiple paragraphs for a given day's diary entry.

Also, the submission rules state:
7. If you are e-mailing several one-liners, please put them all in one Word document. Don't attach 12 documents for 12 one-liners and be sure to keep all your one-liners on one page. We'll only look at one page of one-liners per submission.
8. Title the document with your full name followed by 'One-liners' or 'Corrections'. e.g. 'John Brown - One liners.doc'

If you are looking to submit some one-liners, some JackApps, some Corrections etc. should you just submit it in one doc as 'John Brown - One liners.doc' rather than one doc of one-liners, one-doc of JackApps etc. I am assuming the former. If that is the case do you just format each line in the appropriate way e.g. for a correction start it with "Last week we..." or do you also explicitly group one-liners under a heading saying One-Liners and then Corrections under a heading saying Corrections etc.

Thanks for your help. This seems like a very friendly, helpful community.
Phil

TheJaw,

The diary would be a sketch, so yes, stick to the standard sketch format.

As for using a "day" as the person, I would say no. Given that it's radio, you're going to want the day actually read out, so I would just use a voiceover/narrator as a character, like this:

NARRATOR: Saturday.

CHARACTER: Today, I learnt how to format a Diary sketch.

---

As for One Liners, I believe JackApps, Corrections, Intros, et al are all classed as one liners so it would be correct to include them all in one document.

As for setting them out, I'm sure the way you mentioned is just fine. I only had general one liners and a couple of JackApps this week and I set them out like this -

JackApp: Blah blah blah

JackApp: Blah blah blah

But it's probably better if you just used a heading, like you said.

Thanks Mr M. All makes sense and seems like pretty sensible advice!

I sent off three sketches last night.

Overall, I'm happy with them - although I do wish I hadn't changed one of the punch lines at the last minute.

I sent off a couple of Sketches this morning which only broke over the weekend so fingers crossed! I followed the advice on this thread and tried to steer clear of the big news stories from the week i.e. the Oscar Pistorius story, the Horsemeat developing scandal and also the Russian Meteor as I thought that better writers would have covered them much better than I could.

Best of luck to anyone who's submitting this week!

I sent my three sketches off this morning. Some I'm more confident than others, but one sketch I did I'm rather proud of it has to be said. I thought in advance and decided to do an item about something that will most likely be in the news tomorrow: tonight's broadcast of the very rude poem "V".

I sent off three great concept for sketches, which due to the fact I was working right up to the deadline, probably weren't as brilliant as they could have been. I'm not unhappy with them, it's just they could have been better...

Oh well

Personally I'm enjoying the Monday / Tuesday twitter feeds of the producers of Newsjack. It would appear that after several series of reading bad/offensive puns from twitter they've finally cracked.

And Newsjack Bingo is a fun game anyone can play.