Doctor Who... Page 927

Quote: Pingl @ February 1 2013, 8:12 PM GMT

Watched Terror of the Autons yesterday, Roger Delgado was the best Master bar none, and of course the beautiful and quirky Katy Manning, ah my lost youth....

Thats because he always gave a subtle performance!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ February 2 2013, 9:06 AM GMT

Thats because he always gave a subtle performance!

More often than others perhaps, but certainly not 'always' (Exhibit A, begging for mercy from Kronos in 'The Time Monster'!).

Quote: radiat10n @ February 2 2013, 2:39 PM GMT

More often than others perhaps, but certainly not 'always' (Exhibit A, begging for mercy from Kronos in 'The Time Monster'!).

ONE SCENE! out of all his performances!

Can't be said about John Simm, whose every scene was OTT!

Quote: Pingl @ February 1 2013, 8:12 PM GMT

Watched Terror of the Autons yesterday, Roger Delgado was the best Master bar none, and of course the beautiful and quirky Katy Manning, ah my lost youth....

He was great as an actor, but I never really liked the Master as a character. He didn't seem to have any motivation other than just... being a prick. For the sake of it.

Oh and Jo Grant annoyed the hell out of me, why would the Doctor bring her along with him? She was an idiot! Sarah Jane was miles, miles better :)

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ February 3 2013, 7:35 PM GMT

He was great as an actor, but I never really liked the Master as a character. He didn't seem to have any motivation other than just... being a prick. For the sake of it.

Oh and Jo Grant annoyed the hell out of me, why would the Doctor bring her along with him? She was an idiot! Sarah Jane was miles, miles better :)

You should watch The Sea Devils!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ February 3 2013, 8:28 PM GMT

Speaking of The Sea Devils, isn't that the one where Stuart Fell does a backflip when being killed? He also doubled for Katy Manning in same episode. He appears in the credits of loads of shows as a stuntman. Somewhat fittingly, his last stunt work was in Last of the Summer Wine.

Watched the 'More Than 30 Years In The Tardis' doc for the first time since the mid-nineties (It's in the Shada boxset); a really nice watch. Though the celeb talking heads now seem very odd; Toyah and Mike Gatting?! You'd prob get a better bunch if they did a version now!

Oh, and for the first time I actually stopped watching a story without getting to the end. Made it about four episodes into 'Planet Of The Spiders'. Torture. It was one I'd held off watching for years, too. Such an odd, dull choice for a Doctor's final adventure.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ February 3 2013, 8:28 PM GMT

I have. What about it? Nice episode, but the Master is still an unrelatable... twat, and Jo Grant is useless. UNIT (the brigidier especially) are great and so is Pertwee (even with the karate stuff and the car), and the monsters were amazing. It all got way better with Tom Baker though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 3 2013, 9:55 PM GMT

Oh, and for the first time I actually stopped watching a story without getting to the end. Made it about four episodes into 'Planet Of The Spiders'. Torture. It was one I'd held off watching for years, too. Such an odd, dull choice for a Doctor's final adventure.

I liked that! But then I quite liked the ridiculousness of it. It reminded me of South Park for some reason.

Does anyone eles like the story Enlightenment. I think its one of, if not the most underrated who story ever.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 3 2013, 9:55 PM GMT

Can't believe you endured it for four episodes. As the soon as the opening titles started, I chucked my TV and DVD player into the swimming pool. Planet of the Spiders indeed! What on earth were they thinking? I wish this had been wiped and lost forever. Thank God we have the McCoy era to enjoy. Now that is pure class.

What Kenneth said.

If you struggled with Spiders there must've been a lot more you couldn't finish.

That said there are only two six-parters that don't seem too long or padded: Talons and Genesis.

The worst six parter is 'Invasion of Time' by a Galifreian mile. It's an embarrassment in every department.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 3 2013, 11:50 PM GMT

Can't believe you endured it for four episodes. As the soon as the opening titles started, I chucked my TV and DVD player into the swimming pool. Planet of the Spiders indeed! What on earth were they thinking? I wish this had been wiped and lost forever. Thank God we have the McCoy era to enjoy. Now that is pure class.

You sure told me, bub!

Quote: Badhead @ February 3 2013, 11:20 PM GMT

Does anyone eles like the story Enlightenment. I think its one of, if not the most underrated who story ever.

It's a good 'un.

My only issue with Planet of the Spiders was that the spiders weren't big enough. And there should have been more of them.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ February 4 2013, 8:28 PM GMT

My only issue with Planet of the Spiders was that the spiders weren't big enough. And there should have been more of them.

Doctor Who didn't have a great budget, then. It has a huge budget, now!