Derek - Series 1

Ricky Gervais a victim of his own reputation? Surely nobody would bill this as being even vaguely connected with the art of comedy if he wasn't involved?

I can understand going heavy on the pathos and not making Derek's behaviour the punchline, I can understand the tinkly piano instead of canned laughter but they surely weren't even trying for comic moments here? Scenes like the one with the inspector interrogating Karl Pilkington's caretaker character screamed out for comic misunderstandings that never came, and all the unfortunate coincidences were played down by the script. Kev's smut is far too predictable and badly written for me to believe it was seriously intended to be funny (makes Mrs Brown seem like Malcom Tucker, and there are no decent "straight man" overreactions to compensate) and at the other end of the scale lines like "Brown, blue and earth or something." are too subtle to actually yield laughs. There were about three lines of clear verbal comedy in half an hour: probably a similar number to a typical episode of EastEnders.

Oh, and Ricky. He gurns a lot, sounds so much like Ricky Gervais the supporting cast have to keep pointing out how nice he is to deflect from Ricky's usual arsehole persona, and his train of thought was usually too unintelligible to be funny. I think this episode removes all doubt that he's sincere in his attempts not to make a mockery of Derek, not least because of the number of clunky expository lines towards the end, but it also makes a mockery of its billing as comedy drama.

Kerry Godliman is fantastic as an actor and Karl is good too, but it's straight up drama here.

Think I might give that Scottish politician thing a try next week.

I rather liked it. Although I can see various reasons some people might not.

I don't like Kev at all so far, and I wish he wasn't in it, but who knows maybe he'll grow on me (doubt it). But I enjoyed the rest, especially the last five minutes.

It doesn't really work as either comedy or drama. Not least because neither the care home or any of the major characters are remotely believable. Especially Kevin, he's jarringly bad.

I caught a few minutes of it last night and would echo what's been said above based on my limited knowledge. Oddly I did a couple of rapid fire chuckles which surprised me because I found uncomfortable viewing on the whole. It certainly highlights Ricky Gervais's limitations as an actor.

I agree Kev was a bit unbelievable. I liked Derek's clothes though.

Quote: Tuumble @ January 31 2013, 8:38 AM GMT

It certainly highlights Ricky Gervais's limitations as an actor.

GERVAIS:
I need something that showcases my total lack of ability as a character actor.

KARL:
You could try going full retard...

GERVAIS LOOKS DIRECTLY INTO THE LENS AND BRAYS LIKE A FUCKING HYENA.

I enjoyed it. Good performances and made me laugh a few times.

I'm afraid Gervais is a bit of a coward - he won't let go of the comfort blanket of the 'mockumentary'.
It's a lazy format (that's why you see so many in Showcase) allowing you to give great info-dumps of exposition straight to camera, rather than 'writing' them in.
It means you never get any 'truth' in the acting, because everything is self-conscious, aware of the camera.
This has the potential to be a fairly gritty comedy drama, dealing with a difficult subject.
Gervais just needs to stop looking down the lens, start acting and man up.

Thought our own Mr. Simon Wright was good in it, though - spent a lot less time clocking the camera and was all the more believable for it.

PS Kev? WTF?

Quote: Lazzard @ January 31 2013, 10:08 AM GMT

'mockumentary'.
It's a lazy format (that's why you see so many in Showcase)

I would argue that the reason you see so many in Showcase is because it's a much quicker, cheaper way of working. The reasons you give for Gervais doing it are totally fair though, he's got no excuses at all.

Quote: Vince Ives @ January 31 2013, 10:31 AM GMT

I would argue that the reason you see so many in Showcase is because it's a much quicker, cheaper way of working.

Little from column A, little from column B.

I watched and was puzzled I had no idea what it was. Albeit I think Chippolata and Bussell have jointly smacked the nail on the head about its faults.

And then I saw the bit where Derek went upto people in the street and asked to use their toilet.

Candid camera with disabilities.

All the rest is commentary.

nb can I get a job as a Derek pensioner?

I just sit there in a comfy chair all day, then get paid.

Quote: Vince Ives @ January 31 2013, 10:31 AM GMT

I would argue that the reason you see so many in Showcase is because it's a much quicker, cheaper way of working. The reasons you give for Gervais doing it are totally fair though, he's got no excuses at all.

I wouldn't say it's cheaper.
Quicker, for sure - but mainly because it (often) involves less craft.
My main bugbear is that it allows the writer to be lazy by thinking the camera-work can make things believable rather than the narrative.

Meh.

I watched it last night for the first time and for the first 5 minutes I thought 'this is just The Office in an old folks home'

Then drat, I warmed to it and enjoyed it.

No care home in the real world could be run like that, with so few staff to residents ratio and just a casual handyman and a mildly autistic / mentally disabled carer having the run of the place..but as a mocudrama ( is that a word??) it was different and worth a watch. The setting and acting are so ordinary and low key that it does feel like a labour of love by Gervais rather than an attempt to be the next big smash hit.
It's hard to separate Derek from Gervais though as he looks like he did in the office minus the cocksuredness, and Karl sounds just like his normal whinging self.