Miranda - Series 3 Page 27

Quote: lofthouse @ January 21 2013, 9:35 PM GMT

It's just cos he's a dick and I hate him

Ok, now off with your em.. ;)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 21 2013, 9:33 PM GMT

His appearance simply wasn't spectacular cause he seems to be in everything these days: reality shows, charity etc.

Has he? I've missed them then. :(

Quote: Shandonbelle @ January 21 2013, 9:35 PM GMT

Ok, now off with your em.. ;)

Rude :P

Was that "There She Goes" by the La's in the background?

Hasn't anyone noticed that all the characters are turning into Miranda? They all react to a situation in the same eccentric way.
The basic requirement of drama, even comedy, is conflict. Remember the battles of will between Steptoe and Son, the Trotters, Victor Meldrew and the World?

And the best comedy is when contrasting characters tackle the same problem/situation from the view of their stereotype. As in the Golden Girls, Are You Being Served?, Porridge and all the top comedies.

When producers are considering a new script, they cover up the names of the characters; if they can still tell who's speaking from the dialogue alone, it's a good script. I doubt you could do that with Miranda.

If Miranda Hart wrote a pantomime, it would be worth seeing. She has a likeable stage persona. But I still feel that (like Simon Cowell) if Mummy hadn't been rich with the right contacts, we'd never heard of her.

Maybe if she co-wrote with Graham Linehan...

That was a really strong episode and more than made up for last weeks episode which was the total opposite.

It didn't have any moments in particular that had me laughing out loud (which is a hard feature to do as I hardly laugh at all unless you're Basil Fawlty or Rodney Trotter) or anything, but it was highly entertaining and was constantly on point and just sheer brilliance.

Totally dug it.

Here's to hoping the next episode can take up on how good this one was.

Cannot remember a single episode of any sitcom past or present that was as fast-paced, anarchic and thoroughly madcap as this week's Miranda. Never mind pantomime, I'd love to see her turn her hand to writing a proper stage farce.

I've never really watched the show before, having been put off by the pantomime aspects, but I must say, I was very surprised as how well this all hung together.

It made me think of the famous piece by Piero Manzoni, Artist's shit*, where he canned his own excrement, and in doing so, produced a magnificent artwork. Taken individually, all that talking to camera, falling over and general puerility is just so much shit, but pieced together in such a fast and intelligent manner, it transcends into something remarkable.

I accept that having not seen any previous episodes, I might not have got all the humour, which makes it even more remarkable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_shit

Very, very funny episode this week, best one of this series so far.

Quote: Yorick @ January 21 2013, 11:06 PM GMT

Hasn't anyone noticed that all the characters are turning into Miranda?

Yes, I did notice it.

Quote: Nogget @ January 22 2013, 8:54 AM GMT

...having been put off by the pantomime aspects, but I must say, I was very surprised as how well this all hung together.

It made me think of the famous piece by Piero Manzoni, Artist's shit*, where he canned his own excrement, and in doing so, produced a magnificent artwork. Taken individually, all that talking to camera, falling over and general puerility is just so much shit, but pieced together in such a fast and intelligent manner, it transcends into something remarkable.

Me too, I really enjoyed this one...for similar reasons. But I could do without the cringeworthy dancing & singing at the end. This is too "Mrs. Brownsey" for my taste...let the Irish tranny do such cheap shit.

I appear to be alone in thinking that this programme, from a promising start is fast descending into a sort of karaoke comedy.
Wheeling in celebs is the last straw.
I remained stoney-faced throughout.
Shame.

Very fun episode. Made me laugh a lot. Job done.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 22 2013, 9:35 AM GMT

Yes, I did notice it.

Me too, I really enjoyed this one...for similar reasons. But I could do without the cringeworthy dancing & singing at the end. This is too "Mrs. Brownsey" for my taste...let the Irish tranny do such cheap shit.

The kiss with Barlow was the obvious end point, and what followed diminished the impact. I've no idea why she chose to do it, maybe it's a girl thing; Smack The Pony used to indulge themselves with a song at the end.

Yes, all us girls have a singsong before bed each night...

Quote: zooo @ January 22 2013, 10:17 AM GMT

Yes, all us girls have a singsong before bed each night...

Yes, you girls...and not to forget gay men. ;)