The Kenny Everett Television Show

I've just been watching the first episode on Paramount, 'cos they're being lovely and showing some comedy which hasn't been broadcast in far far too long, and really love it. Genuinely funny stuff, unashamedly odd, and even though it does have the odd contemporary reference, it's brilliantly timeless. Quite heartening that a truly good British sketch show can still be broadcast on British TV. Just a shame that it's the best part of 30 years old. Really shits over the modern comedy scene.

RIP Kenny. Let's hope the DVDs come out soon. :)

I loved it but it always seemed a bit strange to me because as I was growing up he was firstly a DJ on a pirate radio station and then Radio 1 so it was like a secondary career.

I was forced to watch this when I was a child, with no objection mind.

:)

Saw it when first broadcast. It was great. Everett was always good on radio too! :)

Quote: Aaron @ February 4, 2008, 10:58 PM

I've just been watching the first episode on Paramount, 'cos they're being lovely and showing some comedy which hasn't been broadcast in far far too long, and really love it. Genuinely funny stuff, unashamedly odd, and even though it does have the odd contemporary reference, it's brilliantly timeless. Quite heartening that a truly good British sketch show can still be broadcast on British TV. Just a shame that it's the best part of 30 years old. Really shits over the modern comedy scene.

RIP Kenny. Let's hope the DVDs come out soon. :)

The DVD is out - The complete naughty bits - collection of the best from his sketch show. Have to say, being an admirer of Ken, that i was a little dissappointed. At his best, the sketches are some of the most silly and funny material that has graced our screens. he was a true inovator with style as well - but i found a lot of the material didn't quite hit the spot. but yes, as you say some of it is just pure class. and you are as good as your best sketch, of course

I left Paramount on after Coupling last night, and to be honest I thought it wasn't very good. I was expecting it to have dated badly, and it hasn't really, but it was just not very funny.

Kenny's best stuff was on the Radio.

Also he was an innovator, sometimes when you break ground and everyone copys you it makes you look cliched.

Still think his greatest moment was the Young Conservative Conference

Lets kick Michael Foots stick away, Lets bomb Russia!

Quote: Rob B @ February 5, 2008, 8:44 AM

I left Paramount on after Coupling last night, and to be honest I thought it wasn't very good. I was expecting it to have dated badly, and it hasn't really, but it was just not very funny.

You think? Well, each to their own I suppose. I got a bunch of episodes last year and really enjoyed it, so am glad to see it broadcast in an uncut form. Ah well, each to their own. :)

Quote: sootyj @ February 5, 2008, 8:50 AM

Kenny's best stuff was on the Radio.

Also he was an innovator, sometimes when you break ground and everyone copys you it makes you look cliched.

Still think his greatest moment was the Young Conservative Conference

Lets kick Michael Foots stick away, Lets bomb Russia!

I don't doubt he did some great stuff, and had some good characters.

However as a one off last nights shows was pretty poor. It also shows how media savvy stars have become now, because Bill Wyman looked liked he'd never even seen a TV camera before.

I think that was part of the act that he (Bill) was given. It certainly didn't come across anything like that to me.

What? Kenny Everett not brilliant? How dare thee. 'Tis marvellous me thinks. I grew up with this. It was the show that my parents didn't understand and I loved. The Spiderman wanting a pee sketch is fantastic. Though I be not the arbiter of taste, a pox on both your houses all ye doubters of the Kenny one. Angry

My Mum went to school with him, back when he was known by his real name of Maurice Cole. She told me he used to make comedy tapes and bring them into school to play for everyone.

Wow.
Now THAT is a claim to fame. :O

Woah. Leg end! :O

He actually mentioned my mum's best friend, in his autobiography. I think my mum was a bit disappointed that he didn't mention her.