THE most underrated band of all time... Page 8

I'm going to suggest Mansun. They pretty much invented the Brit Pop rock sound along with 60ft Dolls. Great band, great live, great songs, great videos, but not included in the pantheon of ground breaking bands.

Mansun were underrated, no question. I think it was an image thing.

Also, Rialto were an amazing band. I saw them open for the bunnymen at Brixton Academy and they were glorious.

Hüsker Dü...pretty underrated. Hardly sold any records but influenced R.E.M. and the Pixies (which were unterrated too).

Jesus!

I saw the thread title (having never seen the thread before), and opened it thinking "I'm going to say Mansun".

First two posts I see on the thread are about Mansun.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ December 18 2012, 5:56 PM GMT

Mansun were underrated, no question. I think it was an image thing.

Also, Rialto were an amazing band. I saw them open for the bunnymen at Brixton Academy and they were glorious.

I remember that brilliant "Untouchable" song, but nothing else...

Quote: deckard @ May 3 2010, 12:14 AM BST

Whitesnake.

Don't laugh, Coverdale's vocals are second only to Plant in my mind (and he even looks like Plant). In fact, no band sounds more like Led Zeppelin without copying them.

Like the early UK albums like Ready and Willing but his later cock rock reincarnation was all a bit too Spinal Tap for words. Apparently Rock Star by Jackie Collins is based on Coverdale.

Always liked Deep Purple MK II and dismissed later line ups. Recently listened to Stormbringer with Coverdale and thought is was terrific. Bought a fresh dynamic to the band the way Dio did with Black Sabbath.

I was once speaking to someone on the phone at work called David Coverdale but he had never heard of his famous namesake. What a sad man.

Bit of a tricky one this as underatted could be defined as someone few people have heard even if they are greatly respected by their peers. Under that criterea Richard Thompson would top my list.

And although I'm not the target audience for girl bands there was an outfit around just before the Spice Girls called Shampoo who were infinately better and then disappeared.

ELO.

Ride

How about It's a Beautiful Day and Rennaissance for some folky rock stuff?

Quote: lofthouse @ December 18 2012, 9:30 PM GMT

Ride

I see your Ride and raise you My Bloody Valentine.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 18 2012, 11:22 PM GMT

I see your Ride and raise you My Bloody Valentine.

I dunno how underrated MBV can be considering they just sold out two Hammersmith Apollo shows! Amazing band though, for sure.

Quote: PhQnix @ December 18 2012, 11:26 PM GMT

I dunno how underrated MBV can be considering they just sold out two Hammersmith Apollo shows! Amazing band though, for sure.

Muse-os will have heard of MBV, but to the general public they're pretty much an unknown quantity and only ever had two studio albums. I'd heard of them but never really listened to their music and only got into them after listening to the single 'Soon'.

EDIT: Good to have you back PhQnix.

Quote: Chappers @ December 18 2012, 11:15 PM GMT

Renaissance for some folky rock stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CBShoN2bhA
Lovely stuff.

My Vitriol, King Adora, Cooper Temple Clause, Millionaire...

Symposium, Three Colours Red, Bluetones...

I think Mansun had image problems. They were fairly popular (most singles charting at #10-20 IMHO), but were never going to get to Oasis/Blur/Pulp levels of popularity with a out-there image (much liek early Manics, Skunk Anansie and Placebo).

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 18 2012, 11:35 PM GMT

Muse-os will have heard of MBV, but to the general public they're pretty much an unknown quantity and only ever had two studio albums. I'd heard of them but never really listened to their music and only got into them after listening to the single 'Soon'.

For a moment I thought 'Muse-os' meant Muse fans and I was wondering why they, of all people, would know who MBV are.

This is where the whole underrated debate lies, I mean, what really makes a band underrated? A lack of commercial or critical success? MBV certainly haven't suffered for their lack of popularity, as they have f**ked about for ten years without making an album anyway! Indeed, if they were more popular they may have ended up churning out sub-par albums just to meet demand. For me they seem to lie on the sweet spot of credibility: popular enough to make money, but small enough to do it their way.

Also, it's goodish to be back!

Quote: SimonWing @ December 19 2012, 10:47 AM GMT

My Vitriol, King Adora, Cooper Temple Clause, Millionaire...

I liked the the first Cooper Temple CLause album, several good songs, but they seemed to nose dive pretty quick after that.

Same goes for Mansun.