British Comedy Awards 2012 nominees Page 2

Glad to see Steve Coogan in there, also Moone Boy, and the little lad getting a best newcomer nomination. Disappointed to not see Spy get a nomination though, that's been the one of the best new comedy shows this year.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 3 2012, 11:08 PM GMT

Whatever Happened To Harry Hill should have got a mention, but thank fook there was nothing for Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy or The Midnight Beast, so small mercies.

All in all, a terrible year for comedy.

I'm not surprised that Luxury Comedy wasn't nominated, given its reaction this board, but Horrible Histories! It's there every year and okay, it's all right, but we want new shows. Stop rewarding the old ones!

The Partridge nomination for best new show puzzles me. "New" implies a show that will return at some point in the future, but I'm guessing the Partridge was a one off.

I'd also echo the puzzlemen at the Twenty Twelve love-fest. Some nice moments, but ultimately quite bland.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 3 2012, 11:08 PM GMT

All in all, a terrible year for comedy.

Although you think you're the only person to see this, I'd agree. It's been the poorest I've ever known it for Brit comedy.

Off the top of my head, new comedy I've enjoyed includes: Partridge, Grandma's House, Friday Night Dinner, Walking And Talking, Horrible Histories, The Thick Of it, Hunderby, Moone Boy, Cardinal Burns, Red Dwarf, Hebburn, Peep Show, Bad Sugar, Fresh Meat, Dawson Bros Funtime, Burnistoun, Limmy's Show, A Touch of Cloth.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 4 2012, 12:19 PM GMT

Off the top of my head, new comedy I've enjoyed includes: Partridge, Grandma's House, Friday Night Dinner, Walking And Talking, Horrible Histories, The Thick Of it, Hunderby, Moone Boy, Cardinal Burns, Red Dwarf, Hebburn, Peep Show, Bad Sugar, Fresh Meat, Dawson Bros Funtime, Burnistoun, Limmy's Show, A Touch of Cloth; if you can't find a bunch of shows you like amongst that lot, perhaps Drama is more your thing.

Yes, sorry Stott. I don't know what I was thinking. We are actually living in a Golden Age Of Comedy. We've quite literally never had it so good. We are truly blessed.

Quote: chipolata @ December 4 2012, 12:25 PM GMT

Yes, sorry Stott. I don't know what I was thinking. We are actually living in a Golden Age Of Comedy. We've quite literally never had it so good. We are truly blessed.

No, but there's lots of good shows; as an aspiring writer, I'd hope you'd be able to spot that.

Of course, comedy is subjective and all that.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 4 2012, 12:27 PM GMT

No, but there's lots of good shows; as an aspiring writer, I'd hope you'd be able to spot that.

I think there's been some okay shows and a few very good shows. But not a lot has really grabbed me. I want to be grabbed.

Quote: chipolata @ December 4 2012, 12:37 PM GMT

I want to be grabbed.

I'm afraid I'm taken.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 4 2012, 12:19 PM GMT

Off the top of my head, new comedy I've enjoyed includes: Partridge, Grandma's House, Friday Night Dinner, Walking And Talking, Horrible Histories, The Thick Of it, Hunderby, Moone Boy, Cardinal Burns, Red Dwarf, Hebburn, Peep Show, Bad Sugar, Fresh Meat, Dawson Bros Funtime, Burnistoun, Limmy's Show, A Touch of Cloth.

Partridge, Grandma's House, Friday Night Dinner, Horrible Histories, The Thick of It, Red Dwarf, Peep Show, Burnistoun and Limmy's Show - NOT NEW!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 5 2012, 9:54 AM GMT

Partridge, Grandma's House, Friday Night Dinner, Horrible Histories, The Thick of It, Red Dwarf, Peep Show, Burnistoun and Limmy's Show - NOT NEW!

A show doesn't have to be brand new to be good. It's the comedy awards, not the new comedy only awards.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 5 2012, 10:14 AM GMT

A show doesn't have to be brand new to be good. It's the comedy awards, not the new comedy only awards.

Yes but having Steve Coogan in the best newcomer award, that's just taking the piss.

It does seem a very narrow choice of comedy and people that's been focused on. 2012 was okay, but I'd rate Spy, Friday Night Dinner, Grandma's House - and especially Touch of Cloth more highly.

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 5 2012, 1:13 PM GMT

Yes but having Steve Coogan in the best newcomer award, that's just taking the piss.

It would be if that was true.

He's actually in the running for "Best TV Comedy Actor".

The first award has already been confirmed: the Writer's Guild of Great Britain Award for comedy writing has gone to Vic and Bob.

I'm surprised Not Going Out isn't in the best sitcom category. There's a lifetime achievement winner I think-hopefully it will be Eric Chappell this year.