British Comedy Awards 2012 nominees

Rather disappointed with the nominations for this year (and previous years).

Why wasn't Mrs. Brown's Boys nominated?

I try and keep up with comedies, whether its a sitcom, sketch show, panel show or a chat show. But, I had never heard of Cardinal Burns or Hunderby.

I didn't think Alan Partridge: Welcome To The Places Of My Life (a one off) was worthy of being nominated among THREE sitcoms.

I was also disappointed that QI and HIGNFY weren't nominated as shows in themselves rather than just for the performers.

I know I'm being picky, but I think it would be better if the number of awards was increased to include Best Panel Show, Best Chat Show, Best Standalone, etc.

End of ramble, I can relax now it's out of my system.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 3 2012, 5:21 PM GMT

Why wasn't Mrs. Brown's Boys nominated?

It was amongst those put forward to the judges for their votes. The "nominations" revealed in the show last night are in fact not nominations, but the top 4 most-voted nominees in each category.

As I've said elsewhere, I was a little surprised at the list of four sitcoms ultimately chosen. And Grandma's House being shut out altogether. And the amount of love for 'Twenty Twelve', which didn't do a whole lot for me. And Olivia Coleman taking up two of the four available best actress places. I mean, she's great, but how about taking one nom out and having another woman in there?

It is quite, quite odd that they didn't merge the two nominations. But then I understand the voting process is administered by a group of ruthless lawyers now, following the Ant & Dec scandal.

In the episodes of Twenty Twelve I watched, I remember Coleman being a minor character, just being sort of sweet. Did that character suddenly get a whole lot more to do later on..?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 3 2012, 7:54 PM GMT

In the episodes of Twenty Twelve I watched, I remember Coleman being a minor character, just being sort of sweet. Did that character suddenly get a whole lot more to do later on..?

I'm just glad David 'bloody' Tennant didn't get nominated. Can't stand that man!

Quote: Aaron @ December 3 2012, 7:41 PM GMT

It was amongst those put forward to the judges for their votes. The "nominations" revealed in the show last night are in fact not nominations, but the top 4 most-voted nominees in each category.

Why wasn't it in the top 4???

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 3 2012, 8:19 PM GMT

Why wasn't it in the top 4???

Well, it didn't get enough votes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 3 2012, 8:25 PM GMT

Due to it being balls.

And how come Coogan wasn't nominated for Mid Morning Matters rather than the Places of my Life special? All the other nominees have about 6 episodes to make a solid character impression, but Partridge only has one?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 3 2012, 8:25 PM GMT

Yet, it's the funniest sitcom on TV!

It's the ONLY laugh out loud comedy on!

Evidently the majority of the judges disagreed!

Quote: shaggy292 @ December 3 2012, 8:44 PM GMT

And how come Coogan wasn't nominated for Mid Morning Matters rather than the Places of my Life special? All the other nominees have about 6 episodes to make a solid character impression, but Partridge only has one?

One. Plus two previous decades worth of TV and radio shows. But yeah... Anyway, I forget what was the deal with what, but Mid Morning Matters is of course about 2 and a half years old now.

What about Citizen Khan

Quote: zooo @ December 3 2012, 9:17 PM GMT

Evidently the majority of the judges disagreed!

Going by what been on TV recently. The judges (some running TV), haven't got a clue. Harry and Paul??? Me and Mrs Jones??? Some of the jury are guilty of being involved with those two!

Quote: Wwe222 333 @ December 3 2012, 9:31 PM GMT

What about Citizen Khan

What about Citizen Khan?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 3 2012, 9:32 PM GMT

Harry and Paul??? Me and Mrs Jones??? Some of the jury are guilty of being involved with those two!

Both excellent shows.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 3 2012, 5:21 PM GMT

I was also disappointed that QI and HIGNFY weren't nominated as shows in themselves

I'm not, they're both tired and unfunny shows well past their use by date.

Can't understand why Twenty Twelve got nominated either, but as I'm not on the the judging panel, my opinion is worthless.

Have to agree with Matthew Stott that the second series of Grandma's House was a good 'un and deserving of a nod.

Whatever Happened To Harry Hill should have got a mention, but thank fook there was nothing for Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy or The Midnight Beast, so small mercies.

All in all, a terrible year for comedy.