Dad's Army Page 14

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 18 2012, 10:12 PM GMT

No problem, I was glad to see the guy who played Mike Fisher in OFAH years later I an episode of the final series.
Now I spotted at least three actors playing small roles who became stars themselves in later years: that "Mike"-guy, the actor who becam Onslow in KUA and Wendy Richard. Did any other veteran or future stars I don't know play small roles in Dad's Army?

Nigel Hawthorne is in an early episode, 'The Armoured Might of Lance Corporal Jones', in series three.

Jeez, I didn't realize that which is remarkable because I watched series 3 about a month ago and I'm watching Yes Minister at the moment. I'm getting senile it seems.
BTW Nigel Hawthorne was a great actor. I liked him in that "Going Straight" episode...which is funny because in real life wasn't going "straight". :D

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 17 2012, 6:02 PM BST

I could have done without the Scottish bloke, though.

I don't know what's got into me at that time. Frazer is one of the funniest and most interesting sitcom characters I've ever seen.

TV series very good, radio shows excellent, it's often the case.

Look what I have just found on YouTube. An American remake of our sitcom. It was made in 1976, called The Rear Guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q1ToUWu3Cc

:) That was very funny but then it was an exact copy of The Deadly Attachment episode so was bound to be. Didn't get picked up but then how do you convincingly make a whole series about a situation that didn't exist in America? Maybe that realisation hit them after they made the pilot. Thought the Jewish angle was funny.

All of the series was great. 'Allo 'Allo! was better.

Quote: David Smith @ May 24 2013, 5:59 PM BST

Sacrilege!

Quote: Badge @ November 17 2012, 9:37 PM GMT

Miranda Hart played a memorable one-off character in Not Going Out and came back as a completely different regular, so it does still happen.

Yes, but no one would take a blind bit of notice or care!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 19 2012, 9:35 AM GMT

Yeah you're right, I forgot that one...and wasn't the old guy playing Young Mr. Grace in AYBS?

The fantastic and irrepressible Mr Bluett!

Quote: David Smith @ May 24 2013, 5:59 PM BST

Better as in better get some critical faculties.

Hmm, I definitely find the later Dad's Armys quite 'Allo 'Allo!-ish. There's a couple of prison camp ones where it gets a bit broader in humour too. I expect from a writers point of view, that was where the idea for 'Allo 'Allo! came from, and they probably had an increasing amount of broader, slightly coarser material with innuendo that didn't fit DA and AA was born. Not sure whether to go :) or :( tbh, ambivalent on AA.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 30 2013, 11:01 AM BST

Hmm, I definitely find the later Dad's Armys quite 'Allo 'Allo!-ish. There's a couple of prison camp ones where it gets a bit broader in humour too. I expect from a writers point of view, that was where the idea for 'Allo 'Allo! came from,

Isn't it accepted that Secret Army was the where the whole idea for 'Allo 'Allo! came?

Quote: lofthouse @ May 30 2013, 9:32 PM BST

Isn't it accepted that Secret Army was the where the whole idea for 'Allo 'Allo! came?

Correct.

'Allo 'Allo! is a in a totally different league to Dad's Army, it's like comparing Dan Brown to Tolstoy.

'Allo 'Allo! had a different writer too.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 30 2013, 9:32 PM BST

Yes, it is. It's incorrect, but it is true that it's accepted.

In fact, 'Allo 'Allo! is a spoof of the entire genre of serious war and espionage dramas, on both film and television.

Quote: David Smith @ May 30 2013, 9:41 PM BST

'Allo 'Allo! had a different writer too.

Has one different writer, Jeremy Lloyd, ex-husband of Joanna Lumley and co-writer of the equally over-praised Are You Being Served?. Having said that I do much prefer 'Allo 'Allo! to Are You Being Served?, but am firmly in the Jimmy Perry/David Croft group as opposed to the Jeremy Lloyd/David Croft camp. Note the use of camp in the latter teaming.

Quote: Aaron @ May 30 2013, 9:44 PM BST

Yes, it is. It's incorrect, but it is true that it's accepted.

In fact, 'Allo 'Allo! is a spoof of the entire genre of serious war and espionage dramas, on both film and television.

Lloyd has stated it was inspired by Secret Army, even down to the way the resistance girls dressed in both shows.