Me And Mrs Jones Page 7

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 7 2012, 7:21 PM GMT

Show me a decent modern comedy!!!!

Err... Peep Show?

Quote: SimonWing @ November 11 2012, 2:34 AM GMT

Err... Peep Show?

He won't like that.

No thanks!
I'll stick to Steptoe and Son, Fawlty Towers, The Good Life, Yes (Prime) Minister, Porridge, Black Adder and Hancock!

I don't like this at all. I did try. I'm not a 'rom com' type generally, so that description put me off, but I remained open-minded. I also understand that the writers had worked on Green Wing and Campus, which are not at all like this (apart from having a couple of the actors from said shows in). As an aside, I should add that I didn't exactly like either Green Wing or Campus. There were bitingly good performances in each of them and a certain amount of cleverness, but I was always put off a bit by the overriding nastiness and the proliferation of bullying-in-the-workplace scenes.

Clearly, Mrs. Jones is not like that. It isn't nasty because it's more of an accessible prime time type animal, and I understand that shows like that need to conform to needs of target audience, etc. I also understand that I am not the target audience for this show. It isn't aimed at me. But I would like to think that I can be an objective viewer.

This show has quite an impressive cast list - none of the actors in it would have come cheaply and they've all been at least good at what they do in the past, or better than good in some cases. Neil Morrissey is an underrated comic actor; if ever I laughed at Men Behaving Badly, it was at the delivery of his lines. Robert Sheehan has proved himself to be utterly outstanding in a number of heart-wrenching dramas, so I understand that he might like to diversify and try a little gentle comedy. Sarah Alexander is extremely attractive, likeable and competent in whatever she does, as she is here, even though it's not to my taste.

But nonetheless I find this to be one of the worst sitcoms I have ever seen - even looking at it objectively. It could even make me long for The Life of Riley. The characters are all empty sitcom 'types' - and I know that 'types' are important in this kind of TV, but even so, there needs to be something underlying that. This seems to be all gloss and surface - a lot of much better than average looking people in unfunny sitcom situations that have been done many times before (not a bad thing in itself, but if you do them again they have to be done at least as well). I'm bored with the middle aged dysfunctional divorcees and their apparent inability to cook a simple meal without getting covered in the ingredients. I'm not at all convinced by the handsome twenty something with the soul of a 45 year old and his bumbling mate who is more like his pet, or the malevolent primary school girls with more sense and cynicism than their parents. And I have not laughed at it once.

Good actors are doing their best with it, but is ultimate soulless emptiness makes it dispiriting to watch. And Neil Morrissey looks bored with his own character. Nathaniel Parker looks embarrassed with his.

I really hope it never gets recommissioned.

Been missing this but decided to catch up on iPlayer. watched 2 episodes and had enough, just didn't find it very funny at all.
Sarah Alexander is likeable in it though, she is the best thing in it by far.

Last time I posted about this, I mentioned how middle aged people getting bits of cake ingredients on them was not very funny.

I watched the last episode on iPlayer. Mrs. Jones got chocolate on her face while preparing a cake. Again.

This show was one of the worst I've ever seen. It was undignified. It was never even a little bit funny. All it needed was a character who, unused to physical exercise, decided to go to a gym and falls over on a running machine. If (please no) there is a series 2, I predct that we will see Neil Morrissey doing this. And he will look ashamed, and he will not be acting. The 'unfit fool in the gym' scenario has recently been used in Miranda (twice, if you count the swimming pool one) and How Not to Live Your Life. Sitcom writers love it.

Physical comedy. Always a winner. :)

Quote: Aaron @ December 4 2012, 9:25 PM GMT

Physical comedy. Always a winner. :)

When it works! Which it didn't on Miranda and Me and Mrs Jones!

Wrong. :)

Any one know whether there will be a 2nd series.

Feels quite likely, but no definite sign yet.

Both writers have confirmed on Twitter that there won't be a second series.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 5 2012, 9:57 AM GMT

When it works! Which it didn't on Miranda and Me and Mrs Jones!

I would agree that physical comedy can be very funny. I'm not entirely sure that getting a bit of chocolate on your face in the Mrs. Jones style counts as physical comedy anyway - it's more a desperate stab at getting a cheap laugh or else it was to make Mrs Jones look even cuter and more helpless, and that in itself isn't all that funny. There was physical comedy in Mrs. Jones - or an attempt at it - when that boy was bouncing madly on the trampoline. It was actually quite well performed by the actor but the context and character were hopelessly unfunny so it raised no laughs from me. It was like someone hoovered up a whole load of sitcom/romocm tropes and then set the machine to blow, and they just all spewed out and landed with no real target or purpose.

Quote: Aaron @ December 6 2012, 4:29 PM GMT

Feels quite likely, but no definite sign yet.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000995/bbc_one_axes_me_and_mrs_jones/

F**kers, I was enjoying that.

Wish they wouldn't axe shows that ended on a cliffhanger. (Not that it's that difficult to work out who she probably chose.)