Sitcom characters you never see Page 12

Quote: sootyj @ September 30 2012, 5:25 PM BST

Wasn't that Radar?

No, it was definitely a loudspeaker

Quote: sootyj @ September 30 2012, 5:25 PM BST

Wasn't that Radar?

There are scenes where we see Radar and other characters talking to each other (sometimes even in the office where the PA system is stationed!) while in the background we can hear the loudspeaker voice informing about incoming casualties.

+
In an audio commentary to a Futurama episode which spoofs MASH the makers tell us that they got the actor "who made the loudspeaker announcements" in the origininal series...they could have said: "We hired the dude who played Radar". But they didn't.

He was a ventriloquist.

Quote: sootyj @ September 30 2012, 7:44 PM BST

He was a ventriloquist.

And a damn fine one. No...but you're right. It would make sense if Radar would make these announcements. And the voice does sound a bit like him.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 1 2012, 11:36 AM BST

And a damn fine one. No...but you're right. It would make sense if Radar would make these announcements. And the voice does sound a bit like him.

I always thought the announcements were by Radar, he worked in the office with the tannoy and was the admin at Mash. However in the film I don't think Radar did the announcements, but not seen it for a while. But TV nearly always Radar unless he's in scene where the announcement is being made.

Funny thing. I always thought that the tone of MASH wasn't typical for an American sitcom (too cynical and "knowing"). And some episodes were written by a guy called Laurence Marks and I thoght "Ah, that makes sense". But I checked it it's NOT (!) the same guy who co-wrote "The New Statesman", and he's American.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 1 2012, 12:20 PM BST

Funny thing. I always thought that the tone of MASH wasn't typical for an american sitcom (too cynical and "knowing"). And some episodes were written by a guy called Laurence Marks and I thoght "Ah, that makes sense". But I checked it it's NOT (!) the same guy who co-wrote "The New Statesman", and he's American.

It is one of my all time favourites, especially the early Frank Burns shows. It was one of those shows we used to dissect at school. The quality never dropped, it was unusual for American TV then, when the quality of their comedy wasn't thought to be as good.

Quote: Pingl @ October 1 2012, 12:25 PM BST

It is one of my all time favourites

Same here.

The Good Life was full of them, all of Margot's am dram mates who she spoke to on the phone etc

Quote: sootyj @ November 19 2009, 3:00 PM GMT

She did turn up at one point.

When, I'm pretty sure she didn't ...

Quote: Our Spanner @ September 19 2012, 11:26 AM BST

Has Dorian's husband 'Marcus' in Birds of a Feather been mentioned?

The character of Marcus appeared in several episodes, played by the following actors:

Nickolas Grace - Marcus Green (series 1, 5 and 7)
Stephen Greif - Marcus Green (1990 Christmas Special)

Quote: Dave Barlow @ November 3 2012, 2:15 PM GMT

When, I'm pretty sure she didn't ...

You dug up a 3 year old quote to disagree with me?

And you're wrong.

They both take place in "Voyage of the Damned"

She is seen through a shower curtain and in another scene covered in bandages.

Joe Maplin?

The Banker.

Surely that must be classified as a sitcom, it has the cheesy banter and some dramatic stories, a few stereotypes here and there and a clear closure to each episode.

But seriously, I would have said Sir Royston from Drop The Dead Donkey if he hadn't already been mentioned.

Jimmy Savile is the banker