Deceased comedy heroes Page 3

Jason was in the running, but Dunn was already well known for playing old men from his time in Bootsie And Snudge.

Quote: Pingl @ October 18 2012, 9:08 PM BST

Jason was in the running, but Dunn was already well known for playing old men from his time in Bootsie And Snudge.

He was more than "in the running" (in a short list?) he was actually cast but somehow this problem was got round. Very unfair to Jason.

Wasn't Bootsie after Dad's Army?

Cpl Jones if you remember had an 88 year old father, so he's actually old enough to play Jones's father now. Very weird...

(Though there's no way Cpl Jones was 70, was there...)

Quote: Tim Azure @ November 6 2012, 5:07 PM GMT

He was more than "in the running" (in a short list?) he was actually cast but somehow this problem was got round. Very unfair to Jason.

Wasn't Bootsie after Dad's Army?

Cpl Jones if you remember had an 88 year old father, so he's actually old enough to play Jones's father now. Very weird...

(Though there's no way Cpl Jones was 70, was there...)

Pre Dad's Army, I think DA started in 1968, Bootsie and Snudge was a direct follow on from the Army Game in the early sixties. I think Jason won the long game

B&S 1960-64 and again in 1974

Andy Kaufman.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 6 2012, 6:24 PM GMT

Andy Kaufman.

Haven't you heard he's not dead apparently

Quote: Pingl @ October 18 2012, 8:38 PM BST

John Le Mesurier was very ill during the last series, but managed to soldier on for a few years. You can see in the last series he's quite emaciated, although his performance was still wonderful, he died at 68.

I've just started watching the final series and you're right he clearly looks ill. He looks as if he lost a few kilos and his complexion is a mix of grey and yellow-ish. It's hard to watch him knowing he must have suffered during the filming. :(

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 12 2012, 9:30 AM GMT

I've just started watching the final series and you're right he clearly looks ill. He looks as if he lost a few kilos and his complexion is a mix of grey and yellow-ish. It's hard to watch him knowing he must have suffered during the filming. :(

He wasn't well but was determined to appear, although if I recall his memoir, 'A Jobbing Actor', his ill health was taken into account.