Newsjack - Series 7 Page 38

Quote: groovydude89 @ October 25 2012, 6:24 PM BST

This is how my Newsjack record currently stands:

Series 5: Nothing
Series 6: 1 credit
Series 7: Nothing

Similar to my record, except I've been trying longer.

I enjoyed the series though it was fun getting e mails
even though everything got cut.

Next series I'll start sending sketches as well as one liners
In the meantime I'll just try to learn the knack, the Newsnack if you will.

I've never really tried Newsrevue (apart from as a spectator) so maybe I'll give that a go to get some preactise in.

Quote: StephenM @ October 25 2012, 6:08 PM BST

Of course the big question is, who will be the face of the episode 6 credits? There was one other female actor (Cariad Lloyd) in the first two episodes but she didn't do episode 6. Oh the drama.

And the answer was ... Justin Edwards. What do you mean you don't care?

Here's something you'll care about - At the end of the show they said there was going to be a 'Best of Series 7' just before the start of Series 8 (wait, it gets better) and it'll be broadcast on Radio 4. So if you got something in this series there's a chance you could have a Radio 4 credit in February. (About 1/6 chance I imagine).

Quote: StephenM @ October 25 2012, 11:23 PM BST

And the answer was ... Justin Edwards. What do you mean you don't care?

Here's something you'll care about - At the end of the show they said there was going to be a 'Best of Series 7' just before the start of Series 8 (wait, it gets better) and it'll be broadcast on Radio 4. So if you got something in this series there's a chance you could have a Radio 4 credit in February. (About 1/6 chance I imagine).

Stephen, Were you sitting in the front row last night?

Quote: radiogagger @ October 25 2012, 11:36 PM BST

Stephen, Were you sitting in the front row last night?

No, it wasn't me putting Lewis off!

Managed to sneak a gag in for the last episode. :)

Congratulations to everyone who got something on the show!

Having got something on the first episode, I failed to get anything on for the rest of the series. Which is a slight improvement on the last series where I got recorded-but-cut in episode one, followed by a series-long return to failure.

I take consolation in the fact that my alternation between failure and non-failure follows an iambic rhythm.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ October 26 2012, 5:22 PM BST

Managed to sneak a gag in for the last episode. :)

Well done. Which one?

This was my worst season since I began submitting, I didn't even come close.

Obviously, this is not a result of a lack of talent on my part, so it must be a drop in standards by the Newsjack team themselves. This may well be the BBC's biggest crisis for 50 years.

Quote: groovydude89 @ October 27 2012, 11:37 AM BST

Well done. Which one?

It was Justin's "What's brown and sticky?" joke about 2-3 minutes in.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ October 27 2012, 1:39 PM BST

Obviously, this is not a result of a lack of talent on my part...

We can tell that by your photo...

Whistling nnocently

The Newsjack team gave out a few stats at the last recording but all I can vaguely remember from them is the following:

Each week there are about 16 sketches in the final broadcast. About half of them come from non-coms and half of them come from comms. I'll admit I'm not exactly sure where Tuesday non-comms people are in that, i.e. are the non-comms half just through the normal Monday e-mail deadline or are half non-comms Monday + non-comms invited in to the BBC on Tuesday.

They also said they had credited about 70 writers who didn't get a credit in series 6. They are usually keen to show the breadth of the credits in terms of total people in a series and showing it's not just the usual names.

NJ team might release more via twitter but in the meantime I put the numbers in a spreadsheet and came up with the following for series 7:

Total writers credited - 125

6 credits1
5 credits3
4 credits2
3 credits13
2 credits26
1 credit80

I don't know who is a comm / non-comm in there but I imagine many of those with higher credits are comms. Although an honourable mention should go to David Salisbury (of this forum) for getting 4 credits this series.

Using a few guesses from previous series there's probably about 600 different people submitting something across the series so your chances are:

Getting at least 1 credit - 21%
Getting at least 2 credits - 8%
Getting at least 3 credits - 3%
Getting at least 4 credits - 0% unless your name rhymes with Savid Dalisbury

And given about only 80% of those writers credited are non-comms your chances from open submission of getting a credit are about 16%

My main reason for saying this is that if you got anything on well done, in fact if you got a 'recorded not cut' e-mail well done as well. Getting any sort of recognition on Newsjack is tough and about 3/4 of people out there will go away from the series disappointed.

Stats + Comedy = happiness

Quote: StephenM @ October 30 2012, 12:19 PM GMT

Stats + Comedy = happiness

Which means that Comedy = Happiness - Statistics.

It must be made clear that you can seriously skew the statistics in your favour simply by writing really much better sketches than everyone else.

That said, it's easier said than done...

Dan

The official stats are in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/blogwritersroom

Ah, Ed Morrish. Clearly a man after my own statistical heart.