Friday Night Dinner - Series 2 Page 7

Quote: Aaron @ October 15 2012, 1:40 PM BST

Homeland? What even is that? As far as I'm concerned, it's on after Downton Abbey. :)

Yes, why do different stations persist in this nasty habit of airing interesting shows *at the same time*. It is cruel. Then there will be days on end where there is nothing worth watching on telly. Yes, they might hide behind some blabber about competing for ratings, but that's rubbish. Anyone can see that the ratings for *both/all* stations would be higher if they alternated times more. So they clearly do this on purpose. Only to torture us. :D

I started out watching Downtown Abbey, only catching a glimpse of Homeland during commercial overlaps and "the less interesting" bits of Downton, and have ended up in the reverse, watching Homeland and only catching a glimpse of Downtown Abbey during commercial overlaps. I am hypnotised by the Claire Danes character and desperately anxious to know what happens next.

Sorry for my off topic bit here above.

As for Friday Night Dinner:

Quote: Geffers @ October 15 2012, 1:12 PM BST

Just love Mark Heap's eyes in this.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 15 2012, 1:19 PM BST

And his scared flinch whenever he gets too near his own dog.

YES!!

Also.

Zooo, why does the dad anger you??

Arghhh. He's just so ANNOYING. Wear a top! Get a proper hearing aid!

It's just basically the part doing exactly what it's supposed to! Except sometimes it seems like he's willfully a pain in the arse instead of it just being a natural part of his character (similar to Homer Simpson and that annoys me too).

Quote: zooo @ November 5 2012, 8:45 PM GMT

Arghhh. He's just so ANNOYING. Wear a top! Get a proper hearing aid!

It's just basically the part doing exactly what it's supposed to! Except sometimes it seems like he's willfully a pain in the arse instead of it just being a natural part of his character (similar to Homer Simpson and that annoys me too).

You crazy.

'I'm bloody boiling!'

Blergh.

Basically he's too bloody close to my own dad. You try living with something like that... (Admittedly my dad is always fully clothed and not QUITE as mental. But close!)

Quote: zooo @ November 5 2012, 9:16 PM GMT

Blergh.

Basically he's too bloody close to my own dad. You try living with something like that... (Admittedly my dad is always fully clothed and not QUITE as mental. But close!)

Interesting.. I feel like I should say "my condolences"? ;)

Heh. You probably should.

Some of it does feel a little bit too forced at times, yes. But I was cracking up so hard at the end of this week's show!

Just watched the final episode of this current series on catch-up and found ep. 6 a hoot. A must-watch for fans of Mark Heap who takes centre-stage. For those who gave up on the series, maybe give it another try as imo this was the funniest episode by far.

It felt a little forced but Mark Heap saying shalom is one of the funniest things ever.

As funny as his look of strangulated perversion when about to get the kiss of life.

And the paint made me jump.

I thought for a moment he was going to eat the live mouse out of politeness.

SPOILER -

lots of nice touches, like when Jim assumes it must be his Alsatian, Wilson, who's just snogged him.

Jim drinking the salt water was hysterical. Does anyone play a weirdo better than Mark Heap? And they're all so distinct, not the same tricks each time.

This has been a very stong series, hope there's more to come!

Jewish table water

They amped the Jewishness for once and it worked

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 12 2012, 3:56 PM GMT

Jim drinking the salt water was hysterical. Does anyone play a weirdo better than Mark Heap? And they're all so distinct, not the same tricks each time.

Totally. If you compare Jim to Brian in Spaced it almost seems like a different actor.

Quote: zooo @ November 12 2012, 2:08 PM GMT

I thought for a moment he was going to eat the live mouse out of politeness.

So did I! :D