Local Laughter Page 2

Ricky Fulton and Billy Connolly.

I forgot to mention Danny Le Rue...I think he was a bit of everything.

Norfolk's famous comedians...

Quote: Ben @ November 2 2012, 12:00 AM GMT

I liked him . .

In the main London is a collection of small towns in which people tend to operate in given areas where they work or the odd trip up West etc.

Outside of taxi drivers and delivery drivers, Londoners tend to stay play and shop in their respective areas.

For example how many people living in Camden have ever drink or visit anywhere sarf of the river?.

That being the case perhaps someone could suggest their favourite North South East or West London comedy hero.

From Wappings Alf Garnett to Wimbledon's Martin Clunes, there are hundreds of choices.

I am however prepared to concede that Norfolk does not have a 'Local' comedian although the UEA was the breeding ground for the Fast Show so that counts in a way.

If Devon can muster Peter Cooke and Donald Sinden (Who can forget his rubs with Ringo in Never the twain) then surely there has to be more out there?

So I ask again' Who is YOUR local comedy hero and if possible why?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ November 2 2012, 8:27 AM GMT

I am however prepared to concede that Norfolk does not have a 'Local' comedian although the UEA was the breeding ground for the Fast Show so that counts in a way.

Stephen Fry might disagree with you.

Quote: Ben @ November 2 2012, 12:00 AM GMT

Roger Lloyd Pack
Kit Hesketh-Harvey
Stephen Fry

Stephen Fry born Hampstead London.

Roger Lloyd Pack born Islington London

Kit Hesketh-Harvey Born Malawi

So far you have put up two cockneys and a Malawian, which is a heady combination on a good day.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ November 2 2012, 9:36 AM GMT

Thanks, I knew that.
In response to Ben's comment 'Norfolk's famous comedians..' I noted some who come from there now. I forgot to mention Benikins (can't remember spelling) who also comes from Norfolk, but whether he was born there I couldn't say.
However, Norfolk isn't my neck of the woods so you got me on that one.

Freddie Starr.

I'm not out to get anyone Loopey I am genuinely interested in where people are from and if they have local influences?.

With the advent of the net and such people are getting info from all over, yet whenever a comedian visits a town or city they always try local references or colloqillisms even stereotypes in order to win the crowd over.

Local radio is so under used for comedy, everything is centralised, which is a crying shame.

If BBC local radios held comedy competitions with the finals on R4 it would open up a wealth of talent and in the bargain create a platform away from the internet which is so far ahead of them access wise.

As a licence payer I see the BBC as aloof and disinterested in regional comedy.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ November 2 2012, 10:01 AM GMT

I'm not out to get anyone Loopey I am genuinely interested in where people are from and if they have local influences?.

With the advent of the net and such people are getting info from all over, yet whenever a comedian visits a town or city they always try local references or colloqillisms even stereotypes in order to win the crowd over.

Local radio is so under used for comedy, everything is centralised, which is a crying shame.

If BBC local radios held comedy competitions with the finals on R4 it would open up a wealth of talent and in the bargain create a platform away from the internet which is so far ahead of them access wise.

As a licence payer I see the BBC as aloof and disinterested in regional comedy.

It would be great if local BBC radio could do that, and I agree that probably unearth some good talent. The problem is local radio budget has been taking some massive kicks in the nuts in recent years, so funding would be a problem.

I think the BBC has started to make much more of an effort to look outside of London for talent.

The BBC Radio 2 New Comedy Award is sort of doing your regional comedy competition idea:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/r2-comedy.html

They also coincided with that a series of regional stand-up workshops for people wanting to try stand-up for the first time.

A lot of BBC comedy is now based in Salford, and they do seem to be making the effort to search the country for new talent. Jesting About in Newcastle is a good example and more recently BBC Funny on Three seemed to stress the importance of looking for writers and performers from all over the country.

It is getting better.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ November 2 2012, 9:36 AM GMT

So far you have put up two cockneys and a Malawian, which is a heady combination on a good day.

I was born in Harrow but have never lived there.

Fry grew up in the village of Booton near Reepham, Norfolk, having moved from Chesham, Buckinghamshire at an early age.

Apparently.

Hello Marc glad you got back to me,is that a Norfolk apology?
If do let me know so I can pop it in my ever expanding local oddities file.

In fairness I think a lot of people assimilate, apparently the Borg are running London though I suspect there is more Dorking than Dulwich with some Mockneys.

No it means he comes from Norfolk and didn't grow up in London at all.