Looks a very promising and official sitcomp... Page 5

Quote: garyd @ October 24 2012, 8:18 PM BST

Well done, Matt!

Let's hope you're a ten percenter (as long as it's funny, of course!).

Might be time for some of us to begin to realise that we just ain't got it.

Don't be daft.

I submitted a script that got interest from the BBC and got me to the finals of the BBC sitcom comp last year. I'm not on the list.

It's really just one or two people's tastes and judgements. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't worth pushing yourself and seeing if you can do better next time, but it ain't a reason to quit.

Totally agree. I submitted a script to a Channel 5 competition a few years back and it got nowhere. Shortly afterward I sent it to the Channel 4 "Coming Up" scheme and it got made. I was disappointed not to make the top forty on this but I won't lose faith in the script because of it.

Congratulations to Matthew. Top 40 out of 2,136 scripts is a fantastic achievement and best of luck in the next round.

Quote: garyd @ October 24 2012, 8:18 PM BST

Might be time for some of us to begin to realise that we just ain't got it.

Quote: Antrax @ October 25 2012, 11:58 AM BST

Don't be daft.

I submitted a script that got interest from the BBC and got me to the finals of the BBC sitcom comp last year. I'm not on the list.

It's really just one or two people's tastes and judgements. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't worth pushing yourself and seeing if you can do better next time, but it ain't a reason to quit.

I didn't mean me!
:P

But no, you're right of course.
We shall prevail!

Congrats and best of luck to Mr Stott.

Indeed. Let me add my congratulations. A great achievement.

Disappointed personally, but a hearty congrats to the top 40 - it's a really impressive achievement to stand out from that many entrants - I'd really like to read the 10 pagers!

Well done Stott! (and others!)

Thanks for all the thanks. It's odd, no one has actually even sent me an email about it. According to the magazine, next week they'll cut most so they're left with just four, so chances are I'll be out of it in a few days time.

And I'd like to offer my congratultions too! Without wishing to make a setup line, here's hoping you go all the way!

Well done Matt

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 25 2012, 8:16 PM BST

Thanks for all the thanks. It's odd, no one has actually even sent me an email about it. According to the magazine, next week they'll cut most so they're left with just four, so chances are I'll be out of it in a few days time.

The eternal optimist! Rolling eyes

Everything here is crossed for you.

I wonder if any other BCGers are in the 40.

Quote: garyd @ October 26 2012, 1:02 PM BST

I wonder if any other BCGers are in the 40.

I recognise Martin Holmes; he's not on here much but occasionally drops in.

Quote: garyd @ October 26 2012, 1:02 PM BST

The eternal optimist! Rolling eyes

Heh; I think it's the best way to be in this business. Not negative, but always assume nothing will happen and move on. If something does happen, then great, if it doesn't, well, you didn't expect it to anyway. That way you're not too crushed at the mountains of rejection you get.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 26 2012, 1:06 PM BST

I recognise Martin Holmes; he's not on here much but occasionally drops in.

Heh; I think it's the best way to be in this business. Not negative, but always assume nothing will happen and move on. If something does happen, then great, if it doesn't, well, you didn't expect it to anyway. That way you're not too crushed at the mountains of rejection you get.

Well done.

And couldn't agree more.

Well I'll be damned! I didn't even realise I'd made the Top 40 until one the writers on my website told me!

Do they not email you separately then to say you made the Top 40?

Quote: Martin H @ October 26 2012, 1:58 PM BST

Well I'll be damned! I didn't even realise I'd made the Top 40 until one the writers on my website told me!

Do they not email you separately then to say you made the Top 40?

Seems not; I suppose they must do if you make it to the final four next week.