Deceased comedy heroes Page 2

No. I'm beginning to think that you may be trolling, however.

Quote: Aaron @ October 6 2012, 1:10 AM BST

No. I'm beginning to think that you may be trolling, however.

Indeed . . .

Wave

Quote: Aaron @ October 6 2012, 1:07 AM BST

Yes, he's dead. Windsor Davies is very much alive.

And in fact I just bumped into him less than an hour ago - Windsor Davies that is. He looked very much alive and in fact looked very well.

I had a few words with him and mentioned this site and that we'd like to talk to him sometime. He said he was quite busy at the moment so he may have thought I wanted to interview him on the spot.

This thread would make a lot more sense to me if it was comedy heroes who went before their time rather then the elderly who snuffed it after having really long careers (including bleedin' panto).

With that in mind, most of mine are American / Canadian -

Bill Hicks
John Candy
John Belushi
Sam Kinison
Chris Farley
Phil Hartman

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 18 2012, 6:00 PM BST

With that in mind, most of mine are American / Canadian -

Bill Hicks
John Candy
John Belushi
Sam Kinison
Chris Farley
Phil Hartman

Who are these people?

(I do actually know Candy and Belushi.)

Quote: Chappers @ October 18 2012, 5:47 PM BST

And in fact I just bumped into him less than an hour ago - Windsor Davies that is. He looked very much alive and in fact looked very well.

I had a few words with him and mentioned this site and that we'd like to talk to him sometime. He said he was quite busy at the moment so he may have thought I wanted to interview him on the spot.

Windsor Davies comedy God. I loved him in Carry On Behind, his facial expressions were a joy. He never fails to make me laugh, even in Never The Twain.

Quote: Chappers @ October 18 2012, 6:09 PM BST

Who are these people?

If ever you find yourself in a position of ignorance, Google is your friend.

Quote: Chappers @ October 18 2012, 6:09 PM BST

Who are these people?

Just type their names into You Tube.

But here's a taster of one of my comedy heroes from the list -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7ehccspao

Quote: David Bussell @ October 18 2012, 6:15 PM BST

If ever you find yourself in a position of ignorance, Google is your friend.

No - I prefer to display my ignorance!

Quote: Chappers @ October 18 2012, 6:20 PM BST

No - I prefer to display my ignorance!

Technofear.

Now that I'm working my way through the Dad's Army boxset and cure my ignorance by looking deatails up on Wikipedia I realized that many of the main actors died within 5 years or so after the show ended. Lowe, Le Mesurier, Laurie, the actor who played Godfrey, and Beck even died during the filming of series 6. It's like the curse of Dad's Army.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 18 2012, 8:22 PM BST

Technofear.

Now that I'm working my way through the Dad's Army boxset and cure my ignorance by looking deatails up on Wikipedia I realized that many of the main actors died within 5 years or so after the show ended. Lowe, Le Mesurier, Laurie, the actor who played Godfrey, and Beck even died during the filming of series 6. It's like the curse of Dad's Army.

They were all quite old by then though

Quote: Pingl @ October 18 2012, 8:23 PM BST

They were all quite old by then though

Laurie and "Godfrey" maybe...

The youngest ones were Clive Dunn 92, who is now old enough to play Jones for real, Ian Lavender 66 and Bill Pertwee 86, all still alive. The others were veterans, John Le Mesurier was very ill during the last series, but managed to soldier on for a few years. You can see in the last series he's quite emaciated, although his performance was still wonderful, he died at 68. Arthur Lowe at 65, relatively young. Beck of course died tragically young, shortly before he was about to film a remake of Hancock's Half Hour with Arthur Lowe as Hancock's character and Beck as Sid James.

Quote: Pingl @ October 18 2012, 8:38 PM BST

Clive Dunn 92, who is now old enough to play Jones for real,

Did I hear or read it right that David Jason was a possible choice to play Jones? He played old Blanco well in Porridge a few years later. So that's not too unrealistic.