Red Dwarf X Page 15

I am in total shock. I enjoyed the episode from start to finish and laughed several times. The fact that we now a have chubby hologram and android just added to my amusement. I also like the way Craig Charles is playing Lister because it makes it feel like ten years has actually passed for the character.

I got most of my friends into Red Dwarf because I taped the first series when it first aired. By the time it had become really popular I thought it was shite.

This new episode gives me hope for the rest of the series.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Really felt like a welcome return to old-skool Red Dwarf. Grinned lots. Even laughed out loud, especially at the resentment faces. And lovely to see the sets returning to that slightly-ramshackle feel. It all adds to the Dwarfian atmos - all that green screen crap spoils the show IMHO. Apparently the set walls were made from hundreds of IKEA cutlery trays. Brilliant!

Great first episode, looking forward to the rest. Wish Rimmer's brother hadn't said "twat" though. I was planning on watching the rest of the series with my young son who loves a bit of Dwarf. Now I'll have to check it first for rudery. Yeah I'm old-fashioned like that. :(

PS: My only major gripe is the Simulant's story. The reason I have a gripe is that umm...there was no story. I didn't really understand why she did what she did, apart from her explaining that she was sick of being a slave or whatever. Was it referenced earlier? Seemed a bit out of the blue.

Having said that, I was well-stuck into my 3rd glass of wine by then so I might've missed summat. I'll revisit tomorrow.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 5 2012, 3:10 AM BST

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Really felt like a welcome return to old-skool Red Dwarf. Grinned lots. Even laughed out loud, especially at the resentment faces. And lovely to see the sets returning to that slightly-ramshackle feel. It all adds to the Dwarfian atmos - all that green screen crap spoils the show IMHO. Apparently the set walls were made from hundreds of IKEA cutlery trays. Brilliant!

Great first episode, looking forward to the rest. Wish Rimmer's brother hadn't said "twat" though. I was planning on watching the rest of the series with my young son who loves a bit of Dwarf. Now I'll have to check it first for rudery. Yeah I'm old-fashioned like that. :(

PS: My only major gripe is the Simulant's story. The reason I have a gripe is that umm...there was no story. I didn't really understand why she did what she did, apart from her explaining that she was sick of being a slave or whatever. Was it referenced earlier? Seemed a bit out of the blue.

Having said that, I was well-stuck into my 3rd glass of wine by then so I might've missed summat. I'll revisit tomorrow.

You're not worried he'll find your online rudery?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 4 2012, 10:11 PM BST

Churning out the same joke ad infinitum - especially after Red Dwarf: Back To Earth - is not 'earning it'.

They had earned the laugh when Cat enters during the Moose question bit with Rimmer. Knowledge of the character earned them a laugh just by him entering at that point. Familiarity means all they had to do was have that character enter at that point. It's not just churning out the same gags, its a joke based in character.

I enjoyed it. I'd echo others in that it was in no way classic Red Dwarf but still managed the easy going charm of mid-period series. The story itself was no great shakes, in fact it was quite weak, but a nice introduction to the new series.

Where's Holly?

Seems unfair the least succesful cast member didn't get a look in.

Perhaps Holly's a member of Team Grant and refuses to have anything to do with it.

Quote: sootyj @ October 5 2012, 9:06 AM BST

Where's Holly?

Seems unfair the least succesful cast member didn't get a look in.

Which one?

Either actually, but Norman Lovett had that lovely little sitcom no one seems to remember.

I thought it was excellent; the fact that they've aged ten years sits nicely with Dave and Rimmer's horror, from day one, episode 1, that they're stuck together forever. Lovely comedy and sniping, great one-liners, and laughing at the sci-fi (particularly Trek this week) genre.

Re: audience laughing at anything. Didn't bother me at all. Seinfeld used to go above and beyond this whenever Kramer slid in during later seasons! Plus it just shows the love and affection the audience has for the show and its characters; a love and atmosphere, I dare say, that the cast and crew fed off and made them create a great episode when the pressure must have been immense. Fantastic to have it back.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 5 2012, 3:10 AM BST

Great first episode, looking forward to the rest. Wish Rimmer's brother hadn't said "twat" though.

Actually, that did pop out at me too; seemed a bit out of place.

"twat" is no big deal anymore

Blimey, I remember someone screaming it on This morning with Richard not judy

And that went out on TV on a Sunday morning!

Quote: lofthouse @ October 5 2012, 10:35 AM BST

I suppose it's more that it didn't feel very 'Dwarfy', rather than the strength of the word itself.

Blimey, I remember someone screaming it on This morning with Richard not judy

And that went out on TV on a Sunday morning!

I think since the country elected twats as PM, chancellor and mayor of London the word has rather lost it's sting.

Really? It is in my neck of the words. You wouldn't call your boss one put it that way.