Alf Garnett

Just been watching Series 6 of In Sickness & In Health and have mixed feelings about it. Alf is a genius character obviously but should he have stopped the character after Till Death. I'm probably biased as I loved Dandy Nicholls' character.

Ah...Dandy Nicholls...yes. Amazing woman. She could put Alf in his place with just one twitch of an eyebrow. I often liken Jo Brand to her. Her face can appear as dead pan as it could possibly be, but there's always a flicker of bitch in there somewhere.

I know exactly what you mean, but the comedy in itself is still good and definitely true of that era. It's still a great watch, as I'm sure you'll agree. The new woman in his life does okay. Obviously she could never complete the family unit like Dandy could, but she was a necessary character. Alf always needed a silly old moo to slag off and belittle...in spite of always making himself look even more of a prat in the process.

The best I remember with Dandy Nicholls was when Alf was 'going on one' because all there was for tea was cheese.
'Bloody cheese, bloody cheese. What do you think I am, a mouse'
Dandy Nicholls replies ' I wish you were, I'd put a trap down for you'

Hah...yeah. I remember one where his neighbour was blocking out light from one of his windows and he was shouting, "Ancient lights mate...ancient lights!" at him. Haven't heard that turn of phrase for so many years now. Always good to revisit the past with Alf.

I agree about Dandy Nicholls but I'm pleased he didn't stop.

If he had the world would never have had The Seance episode in series two with Irene Handl and Patricia Hayes.

After watching it all over I actually think he could and should have gone on longer. The one where he gets a paper round and fixes a bit of string to the two neighbours door knockers was hilarious. Every time one opened it, it set the other one off and he just sat in the bushes watching and sniggering. He reminds me of my grandad lol, always after justice.
My fave episode of til death was when the deaf vicar took off with dandy while alf was in the loo and he tried to find her in the ladies but this fat woman thought he was being a perv. Alf said if I was a pervert and was gonna attack someone it wouldnt be a big fat cow like you. Laugh til you cry stuff lol

I like him in the film the best

The episode where Winston turns up for the first time is a classic. Silent comedy at its best.

September 23rd 2012

Dear Sir and/or Madam,

Owing to a Government grant, I now own a computer. I intend to pass on some general words of comfort at www.alfgarnett.co.uk which is currently being designed for me. I must admit, I was septical at first, but this internet is a very good thing. Already I have been contacted by the son of a former African politician who says he is going to deposit a large sum of money in my account.

Mr A.E. Garnett Esq.

My favourite Garnett line is when he's passing a church with a big sign saying 'Jesus Saves', Alf replies, 'Not on my pension he doesn't.'