What ever happened to critique? Page 13

Ha, you direct them to me if anyone tells you off!
*prepares manacles*

Quote: Carlos Manwelly @ September 18 2012, 10:58 PM BST

I don't know if this has been covered because there are so many post to read I have read lots of them but not all.

I have found it a little confusing between critique and showcase, for me at least because I make videos, and I wouldn't call them a showcase, but they are finished ( I barely get chance to film them once let alone film them again)

I would like to put them in critique, because that's what I want people to do to them, so then I would learn as time goes on.

But I have to put them in showcase because they are finished, and then because they are in showcase nobody critiques them and I make the same mistakes over and over again.

But all in all I have found this forum a very good place to get feedback, so well done guys either way I like it here.

It's pretty simple really; Showcase is for finished videos, where you might or might not receive Critique, whereas on Critique you may or may not get feedback on your finished videos.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 18 2012, 11:37 PM BST

It's pretty simple really; Showcase is for finished videos, where you might or might not receive Critique, whereas on Critique you may or may not get feedback on your finished videos.

It's as easy as 1, 2, Pi!

Quote: zooo @ September 18 2012, 11:16 PM BST

Ha, you direct them to me if anyone tells you off!
*prepares manacles*

:O

Why are threads starting NJ KI now?

I assume it's Newsjack/KirinIsland. Are they skits being put forward for production on these shows? I thought KI was only for one-liners?

One liners and sketches. KI basically means you're happy to have your stuff featured on the show,

Wanted to read the whole thing before posting. Fascinating debate. I admit to not posting much, have done a few recently. The evil blue bird, Twitter has led me astray, but I'm in rehab for that.

As for the demise of critique it is a pickle to be sure. While I've been absent, writing sitcom failures I've found that hooking up with fellow tweeters has led to me getting more detailed feedback for lengthy things. Plus, emailing a script to someone elicits patience - in me at least - I'm prepared to wait for feedback. The message board makes me impatient for feedback. This is probably just a personal thing.

I'm new to this KI thing too, which sounds great, would love to get involved with that. That and NJ do seem to light up the board and I think it's because there's purpose behind the posts. People want to polish stuff to better their chances of success. And the KI thing too, I think provides incentive to improve and write good stuff.

The ratings idea is a good one - although I don't know how easy it is to implement - high ratings lifting posts to the top, rather than extended arguments would improve things a lot.

I thought too, that 'showcase' seems buried in the forums and an embedded player on the main page, with a selection of the 'editor's choice' or something, that linked to the board might be a good idea. Sorry, I'm making work for someone there! :)

Sites like Threadless, where contributing designers can also vote on other designs, with the highest rated can be made into T-shirts is a good model. Incentive to improve. This would require the BCG to make a podcast though which we all know will take place when hell freezes over. ;)

The most positive thing that's sprung from this debate is that it's clear that many of us feel passionately about the forum and don't want to see it fail.

Threadless would be an example of exactly why these sorts of threads fail.
I tried it a few times and it's ridden with sniper software.

I wasn't aware of that. Sounds nasty!

When I think back over the sketches I've posted in critique, they've all been for something - Recorded For Training Purposes, NJ, and recently I tried out for that Short Scenes from Odd Stories - and obviously any sitcom excerpts were posted with the intention to submit. I don't know if I'd write any if I didn't have a destination for them. Is it just me?

Basically that's all I do, write aimless sketches looking for a home. The sitcom field is impossible to get into and after that there is nothing.

So I suppose for me critique is as good as it gets and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Quote: M Paterson @ September 21 2012, 12:39 PM BST

I wasn't aware of that. Sounds nasty!

When I think back over the sketches I've posted in critique, they've all been for something - Recorded For Training Purposes, NJ, and recently I tried out for that Short Scenes from Odd Stories - and obviously any sitcom excerpts were posted with the intention to submit. I don't know if I'd write any if I didn't have a destination for them. Is it just me?

The thing is nobodies sitting around idly wandering who will send them a sketch they can buy for £500 or even 50p.

Get your work known get it out there create interest. Go for every open talent contest, YouTube, Newsrevue, Edinburgh shows looking for sketches, mock news sites.
If they want shit get shovelling.

Every worthwhile opportunity I've got has come off something that was supposedly a dud.

Okay, I'm writing a piece for the Huffington Post comedy page about the Critique forum. A celebration of its worth, to highlight it and maybe introduce it to a new set of people. I may quote some comments in this thread with links to profiles, does anyone object to this?

Not at all, though I'd ask the Huffington Posts subscriber what he thinks.

Quote: M Paterson @ September 21 2012, 1:28 PM BST

Okay, I'm writing a piece for the Huffington Post comedy page about the Critique forum. A celebration of its worth, to highlight it and maybe introduce it to a new set of people. I may quote some comments in this thread with links to profiles, does anyone object to this?

Best ask the specific people you end up using by PM, in case they don't see this.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ September 21 2012, 12:49 PM BST

Basically that's all I do, write aimless sketches looking for a home. The sitcom field is impossible to get into and after that there is nothing.

Nothing wrong with writing them purely for posting here, I do that a bit too but now having done that I've got a bit more of an idea what might work and where, so it's never really aimless in the end.