Watership Downer Page 2

Or 'you're' or 'living' I guess. But still don't grasp the thrust of his gib.

I presume he means people from Kent get anti jokes? what is an anti joke anyway?

'disgusted and puzzled of Tunbridge Wells'

I had an Auntie in Tunbridge Wells, if that's any help...

Yes thanks Lazzard.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 14 2012, 11:42 AM BST

Whenever I see the words "aunt" or "auntie" I can't help but wonder if it's really just a typo.

Take Tunbridge Wells, for example: I reckon it's crammed full of a right bunch of old aunts.

You mean this sort of thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpDiZLrTHX4

Quote: Lazzard @ September 15 2012, 11:25 PM BST

You mean this sort of thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpDiZLrTHX4

Exactly!

Quote: Lazzard @ September 14 2012, 11:42 AM BST

Yeah, what is an anti joke? And it's Royal Tunbridge Wells and I live up the road, too!!

So Royal, I'm not even sure if they are Men of Kent or Kentish Men

Here on the River Medway 'Tunbridge Wells' is a place of Middle Class Normality, the sort of idiots that only pick up on spelling corrections, beloved aunt's.

APS

I get the impression here that some people are still stuck in the Seventies, and nothing can be funny without a punchline, or some very obvious physical/slapstick moment. The kind of stuff you get in Christmas Crackers etc.:

"Q. What Do You Get When You Cross a Snowman With a Vampire? Frostbite". Meh...

I will use an example of something posted on here a few months ago. This is brilliant IMHO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2twzCEo_6co

There are basically no punchlines; aside from a bit of word-play on "custody/custard", I can't see any of the over-obvious or pun-driven stuff that some here in critique seem to love.

Instead, the funny moments come from these so-called "anti-jokes", such as the old-timer footballer reciting the time he drowned a sparrow. With no obvious punchline, it has to be down to great acting, production and timing. The self-satisfied look on the footballer's face after he talks about snapping the sparrow's neck, at 2:18, is priceless.

These are all things that could never be put across properly on paper, so I think it is important, if you are doing this kind of off-the-wall stuff, to have producers/actors that truely understand the image of what you have in mind. Of, better still, make it yourself (if you are able to).

Could you imagine how "Jam" would have looking like on paper, pre-production? I ccan't imagine a potential producer would have been able to picture it. Unlike the knob IT crowd writer on the other thread, I can't agree that such a script has "alreadty lost" under these circumstances.

Anyway, back to the OP. It doesn't look great on paper, but it will live-or-die on its prodcution/acting/timing.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 17 2012, 9:10 PM BST

So Royal, I'm not even sure if they are Men of Kent or Kentish Men

Here on the River Medway 'Tunbridge Wells' is a place of Middle Class Normality, the sort of idiots that only pick up on spelling corrections, beloved aunt's.

APS

There are times though, APS, when the only way one would be able to tell whether you merely look like my aunt or if you are truly a aunt is by the words you have put on the page.

If you can't be bothered to use the right words, arrange them in the right order, and make sure that all the funny little letter-mark glyph-thingies are done proper when you put them on the page like what the big boys do, why do you think anybody else would bother to use the genius tool on their Swiss Army Knife to extract the true briliance that you are sure is buried within?

Quote: bigger niche @ September 18 2012, 12:47 AM BST

There are times though, APS, when the only way one would be able to tell whether you merely look like my aunt or if you are truly a aunt is by the words you have put on the page.

If you can't be bothered to use the right words, arrange them in the right order, and make sure that all the funny little letter-mark glyph-thingies are done proper when you put them on the page like what the big boys do, why do you think anybody else would bother to use the genius tool on their Swiss Army Knife to extract the true briliance that you are sure is buried within?

Big Boys? Oh er Matron..

APS