Who is your favourite News Quiz panellist?

Apart from Alan Coren I must say my personal favourite is Francis Wheen. Not a comedian I know, but witty, erodite and polished. I like Andy Hamilton and Jeremy Hard; but of the new crop I only really like Miles Jupp and Henning Wehn, who don't appear nearly enough. Not keen on Susan Calman etc I must say I like comedians with a political bias, or journalists on the show. Sometimes there's to much jockying to get the ready prepared joke in. I Can't stand Fred McAulay don't really know why. However I do love Sandi Toksvig and think she does a great job chairing.

You omit to mention the late great Linda Smith; part of the dream team that included Coren, Hamilton, Hardy and Wheen.

Of the newer regulars Calman is much the best; but Smith, Coren, and the now absent Wheen have never been properly replaced.

Steel and Jupitus are the regular panellists who leave me cold.

I agree with you about Linda Smith. Wheen did appear in one of the last series and is pencilled in for next week. I like Mark Steel, I feel ambivalant about Jupitus.

My favourite is the gay one.

I can't stand overtly political panellists on these kinds of shows. Don't much care which political persuasion they're for or against, it just feels tiresome in the extent of the bias. Give me someone who will skewer the hypocrisy and idiocy of all parties equally, any day.

I love Henning When- the show sometimes is a bit 'smug' and 'arsey'

Quote: dellas @ September 9 2012, 8:03 PM BST

the show sometimes is a bit 'smug' and 'arsey'

My favourite kind of comedy.

:D Up yours then!

When I first started listening, I found Jeremy Hardy quite annoying - but in the previous season, some of his rants had me creasing up on the floor. Firmly my favourite now!

I like Hardy, but there seems to be quite a block who hate him. He is often referred to as Jeremy Hardup. When he is on fire he is absolutely brilliant and always worth a listen to.

I love Jeremy Hardy, he had his own school-based TV quiz show once that was brilliant. (Which I always go on about every time he's mentioned.)

Quote: Pingl @ September 14 2012, 9:44 AM BST

I like Hardy, but there seems to be quite a block who hate him.

Suspect some people have a problem with his politics, but at least he pursues his agenda with a lighter touch than does Mark Steel.

Quote: Tursiops @ September 14 2012, 10:14 AM BST

Suspect some people have a problem with his politics, but at least he pursues his agenda with a lighter touch than does Mark Steel.

Yes I think you're right, he has a lighter touch than Steel and sugars the pill with his old buffer routine.

Quote: ellipsis @ September 9 2012, 3:02 PM BST

My favourite is the gay one.

That could be anyone or even all of them! Certainly a very high ratio of gaylords on panel shows, almost as high as for antiques selling contest shows.

I thought most people grew out of calling people gaylords at about the age of 7...