Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 18

"Entire cast career hilariously downhill in old bath" must have saved him hours.

Quote: sootyj @ September 10 2012, 10:47 PM BST

John Bishop was astonishingly good on the Accused.

Whilst not a big fan of John Bishop's comedy - 'My sons always get embarrassed when they catch me having a wank over Tracey Beaker on CBBC, etc...', he does seem to be an okay actor.

If he didn't have the indecipherable Scouse accent, he'd probably be one of the few UK comedians who could properly crossover to drama and become a big name, much like some of the American stand ups.

Anyways, back to McIntyre - he's probably so popular because he is incredibly non-threatening. Children, elderly women and housewives all like him because of his style of delivery. You could give him and Frankie Boyle the same dirty joke full of expletives and graphic sexual references and the audience reactions would be totally different. Frankie would be described as an absolute hate monger and MM would be described as 'cheeky'.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 11 2012, 1:08 PM BST

Anyways, back to McIntyre - he's probably so popular because he is incredibly non-threatening. Children, elderly women and housewives all like him because of his style of delivery. You could give him and Frankie Boyle the same dirty joke full of expletives and graphic sexual references and the audience reactions would be totally different. Frankie would be described as an absolute hate monger and MM would be described as 'cheeky'.

These would be the children, elderly women and housewives who are also lower middle class office workers?

Quote: Renegade Carpark

Yep, I have a definitive view of the typical McIntyre fan. A lower middle class office worker stuck in a boring and repetitive middle management career who commutes by train from his suburban home.

The kind of person who rushes home on a Friday night instead of going out for a drink with colleagues on the off chance that the wife will be in the mood tonight, but she never is, so he ends up having a secretive toilet wank over the work experience girl on the second floor.

Someone who likes routine, familiarity and being part of the crowd. Someone who's opinion is given to them and any dissention is frowned upon. Someone who truly believes that conformity equals happiness and just bumps along in life waiting for retirement and eventual death.

The only bright spot in their otherwise useless and miserable lives is watching X Factor, running their Sport Relief Mile and going to London to see Michael McIntyre at the O2 Arena. They then wait anxiously for it to come out on DVD and rush out to buy it because 'they were sure the cameraman filmed them' at one point.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 11 2012, 2:32 PM BST

These would be the children, elderly women and housewives who are also lower middle class office workers?

I described a typical fan - someone who would consciously spend money on DVDs, live show appearances, travel to see him perform, etc.

Just like a typical Take That fan would be a woman in her 30s who was a fan during her formative teenage masturbatory years.

You can include the sedentary pizza munching couch dwellers and sprogs and grave dodgers into MM's fanbase, but I wouldn't describe them as 'typical' fans.

I think people like to see their world reflected back at them. I'd place McC**tyre in the 'int life funny' category of 'comics'. Safe, prolific and reliable bit like a trip to Nando's. But with rubbish jokes.
And hideous hair.
Like a gurning rat.

Frankies not nearly as dangerous as you like to think. He writes a coumn for a national newspaper, has about a zillion panel show asppearances under his belt, a Channel 4 sketch show and major book deals. He's hardly some underground renegade.

Quote: chipolata @ September 12 2012, 3:14 PM BST

He's hardly some underground renegade.

He's hardly ever funny either.

I think you've just come up with a format idea.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 11 2012, 12:55 PM BST

"Entire cast career hilariously downhill in old bath" must have saved him hours.

"Freddie Starr ate my hamster"

"Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off a bat."

I can come out with cliches till the cows come home. . . . .

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 12 2012, 10:19 PM BST

I think you've just come up with a format idea.

Laughing out loud

Michael McIntyre presents 'Come Joking' in which comedians are given the same gag and the one who gets the most laughs wins. This week Jerry Sadowitz and Gina Yashere battle it out over 'Waiter, there's a fly in my soup'. Hilarity ensues.

Sure I've written this before but MM is basically funny to lots of people. It's not really a secret. It's high energy, slightly camp, observational comedy with great delivery. For what it is it is very very good. He normally comes off way better than his guests on that comedy roadshow thingy.
What bugs me is the way he noshes every single person off that they are his 'favourite comic ever'.

At the very least, he gives comedy snobs a chance to feel superior; and for that they should be thankful.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 14 2012, 9:03 AM BST

At the very least, he gives comedy snobs a chance to feel superior; and for that they should be thankful.

It would be very difficult to feel inferior to MM's comedy stylings. I made the comparison earlier and I shall do it again. Michael Barrymore was the 'people's comedian' for many years, he had fans from small children to elderly ladies and was universally loved - much more so then McIntyre.

Just like Poet Laureate, the country needs a national 'fool', at the moment it's McIntyre, tomorrow it will be someone else.

On a slight side note, did Barrymore do actual stand-up, or was he just a presenter?

Quote: zooo @ September 14 2012, 11:46 PM BST

On a slight side note, did Barrymore do actual stand-up, or was he just a presenter?

He definitely did live 'stuff'.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 14 2012, 11:04 PM BST

I made the comparison earlier and I shall do it again. Michael Barrymore was the 'people's comedian' at the moment it's McIntyre, tomorrow it will be someone else.

Well, yes.