Most depressing stand-up tropes.

Which clichéd stand-up tropes do you hate most? For me, it's when the comic talks about how funny they look.

For me the most hideously depressing stand up trope is the tripe they talk. >_< Have they thought of telling jokes instead?

I just hate it when they go 'Errrrr' at the end of a funny comment.

Jo Brand and Dara O'Briain do it a lot.

Quote: zooo @ September 8 2012, 12:07 PM BST

Jo Brand and Dara O'Briain do it a lot.

My friend's husband likened me to Jo Brand the other week. I was like...because I'm funny right? He just looked at me and said...no.

I actually hate it when comedians make a 'funny' observation about life and then ask the audience, 'I mean...what's all that about eh?'. I don't know!! Why don't YOU tell us in a FUNNY way so we can feel like we haven't wasted our money!!

:D

'Edgy' comedians who use the shock value of rape and child abuse gags to get a laugh.
"My village is holding an incest competition. I've entered my niece."

Yawn.

I don't like it when some comedians just pace up and down. You can tell they're just trying to think of what to say next and trying to look natural etc, but it just doesn't work for me. They don't make eye-contact enough so you don't even get the pleasure of a sarcastic facial expression every now and again. They just go off into their own world...looking at the floor sometimes. Some comedians can do this brilliantly...it enhances their act, but some just look really awkward and it wastes a lot of joke time.

My biggest turn-off is aggressive, confrontational and sometimes downright bullying comedians who usually pick on one or two members of the audience but take the nastiness way too far. I hate that. And I don't like audience participation either. No, I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to tell you where I live or what my job is. You know why? Because you're just fishing for ways to take the piss. So how about you just tell some jokes and f**k off?

Hmm. I may or may not be in a bad mood today.

Yeah...I'm a bit like that today too. In fact, I don't think I like comedy at all now!

Quote: zooo @ September 8 2012, 12:07 PM BST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j9yBOXyPVc

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 8 2012, 12:49 PM BST

Heee. Come to think of it that's probably where I got that from.

'I was reading about...'(some pretty obscure thing they stretch into a ten minute routine which has them prancing up and down the stage then suddenly stopping to pull a quizzical expression that's supposed to be a cue for raucous laughter)

No you weren't, you were reading up how to con an audience into thinking you've got something funny to say when you haven't and in reality fill a whole set up talking crap.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 8 2012, 1:27 PM BST

'I was reading about...'(some pretty obscure thing they stretch into a ten minute routine which has them prancing up and down the stage then suddenly stopping to pull a quizzical expression that's supposed to be a cue for raucous laughter)

No you weren't, you were reading up how to con an audience into thinking you've got something funny to say when you haven't and in reality fill a whole set up talking crap.

Aw, Russell Howard's not that bad!

We both know he is. Him and his wavy armed friend Chris Addison. They're so thin because of all the hundreds of miles they walk on stage every night.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 8 2012, 12:49 PM BST

Why have they gone and spoiled all the bloody jokes? smartasses Rolling eyes